PDA

View Full Version : Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Daniel Cadieux
08-20-2012, 08:17 PM
From the same session and flock as the other shorebirds I posted recently. I got very wet and very muddy for these, but well worth the effort and change of clothes IMO!!:S3: Photographed along the shores of the Ottawa River.

Canon 7D + 100-400L @400mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/6.3, ISO 800 (histogram checked), natural overcast light, handheld, about 80% FF.

Tom Rambaut
08-20-2012, 08:28 PM
I like the subtle light here - I have liked the others as well. The raised back foot and working the shore flats look is nice. You do manage to get close - some sort of wet suit is needed.

Ofer Levy
08-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Very similar to your previous shots with the same nice low angle, good sharpness and pose. The dull light and colours and "doctored" eye with the fake looking iris are not great IMHO.

Grace Scalzo
08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
A very light, pastel feel to this image, Daniel. Great low angle and foraging pose. I'm in Ofer's camp regarding the eye. Having just spent three days photographing the same species here on LI, this is not how I see the eyes in real life. Also, I think that the bird needs a bit of contrast and that by applying gently, you would not ruin the mood.

Robert Holguin
08-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Wonderful shot. I love the low angle, great pose, and I really like the two blades of grass in front of it.
Well done.

David Salem
08-21-2012, 12:03 AM
I Like this one the most of the series. Worth the sludging through the water. Low angle, pastel colors and great detail make for a very artistic offering. the grass makes the shot pop. Great Job...

David

Daniel Cadieux
08-21-2012, 04:58 AM
The dull light and colours and "doctored" eye with the fake looking iris are not great IMHO.

Fair enough when it comes to the eye, my personal choice. When it comes to light conditions and colours I now you haven't liked the series but I like those...and well...with only about 3 hours per two weeks of outings available to me lately (and no choice of which day) I'll be darned if I stay indoors because the subjects aren't as colourful and the sun ain't shining!:c3:

Ofer Levy
08-21-2012, 05:50 AM
Fair enough when it comes to the eye, my personal choice. When it comes to light conditions and colours I now you haven't liked the series but I like those...and well...with only about 3 hours per two weeks of outings available to me lately (and no choice of which day) I'll be darned if I stay indoors because the subjects aren't as colourful and the sun ain't shining!:c3:
It is your choice indeed...:w3

Frank Schauf
08-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Excellent shot with very nice soft background, Daniel.

Jack Breakfast
08-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Easily one of my favorite series of yours, Daniel. I like the ethereal softness here. These pictures stand apart from the typical shorebird shots. I must admit that I'm not crazy about the eye doctoring, but as with all things in life it's one of those à chacun son goût situations...

Sanjeevprakash
08-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Lovely Shot Daniel.Nice low angled with beautiful creamy BG.Great Work.

Stu Bowie
08-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi Dan, I would be happy to have a change of clothes to create this angle of capture, and good angle from the Sandpiper too. I like the raised left leg 'tugging' on the wet foliage, and the BG colours look good. I also like the splash of greens too.

Karl Egressy
08-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Excellent work, Daniel. Nice, low shooting angle and nice, clean background.

Jack Breakfast
08-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Love that blurred back foot going into the greens, by the way...

Peter Seidel
08-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Nice job separating a light-colored bird from a light-colored background. The sharpness/detail in the face seems just about right in relation to the BG. Not super-sharp, but this shot isn't really about that (IMO). I think sharper face detail would look artificial. Well done.

Pete