PDA

View Full Version : Spring is in the Air

Marina Scarr
08-20-2012, 07:20 PM
This young Bull Elk in velvet was photographed at Rocky Mountain National Park. I love the way he is basking in the sun and breathing in the crisp air (and most probably the scent of the nearby cows). Witnessing this scene with the wildflowers in the FG and the forest in the BG was a joy.

Canon 1D3, Canon 100-400L
F7.1, 1/1250sec, ISO 400, manual mode
Handheld

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Ken Watkins
08-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Marina,

For me this is a very nice pose, if I was to be excessively picky then a slightly more open eye would have been nice!

Tom Graham
08-21-2012, 12:27 AM
This may be a case where lower POV is not better? That is, I think I would like to see more of his haunches, the flowery foreground ground cutting him too far up his body.
Tom

Steve Kaluski
08-21-2012, 03:06 AM
Hi Marina, simplicity is the key to this image for me and again, your images create a lovely mood.

The meadow flowers are a nice touch to the scene, and the trees in the BKG help to separate the subject well. The HA works well, diagonally point towards the top LH corner. You can almost touch that velvet coating of the antlers. I get the impression this was taken quite late in the morning due to the light, therefore if I was to suggest a slight tweak, it might loose that look.

TFS
Steve

Andrew Merwin
08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
There is nothing quite like the contentment I feel when relaxing amongst the wild flowers in an alpine meadow. This image reminds me of that feeling. I like the eye because it shows that the elk, in conjunction with his pose, is very relaxed and that all is right & peaceful with his world. The image made me smile as it reminded me of the many alpine meadows I have been in. Well done Marina. You have an enviable knack for creating emotive images. TFS.

HadiAnsari
08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi Marina
very nice pose.

Marina Scarr
08-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I get the impression this was taken quite late in the morning due to the light, therefore if I was to suggest a slight tweak, it might loose that look.
Steve

Could you please help me with what tweak I should be considering. Postprocessing is not my forte. Thank you.

Morkel Erasmus
08-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Love this scene Marina! Very well captured and presented.
The flowers, low shooting angle, pose and depth from the BG trees make it compelling! :5

Harshad Barve
08-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Great Shot !!!!!!
TFS

Ken Watkins
08-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Could you please help me with what tweak I should be considering. Postprocessing is not my forte. Thank you.

Plus one here:w3

Steve Kaluski
08-22-2012, 04:07 PM

I think Marina we have now come to the same conclusion after our exchanges, good to know we are reading from the same hymn sheet. :S3: