PDA

View Full Version : Female Northern Harrier

Tim Cee
04-20-2008, 10:25 PM
I had a little trouble deciding how to crop this image. For some reason nothing seemed suitable given the head/wing position and the direction she is looking.

Canon 40D
500MM F/4 IS Lens
1/1600 at F/7.1 with + 1/3 exp comp
ISO 320

James Salywoda
04-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Excellent shot Tim I like your choice of crop here Well Done!!!!

Alfred Forns
04-21-2008, 08:04 AM
HI Tim Any different crop suggestions would be basically personal taste Might take just a bit of the bottom

I like the exposure with good under wing detail Don't think the flash did much to help at the 1600 shutter speed setting Light output was minimal Not sure how you go about processing these blue sky images but always best to select the sky inverse and feather Working form a laptop so can't really see what is going on around the delicate primaries Do love the image !!!

Fabs Forns
04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
Crop is hart to tell. One tends to give more space to where the bird will be flying to, but in Harriers, they fly low and steady, not up.
I guess is fine as is. The whole thing needs to be a lttle lighter ro show more detail in the under wings.
1/3 over was not enough to illuminate the dark bird. Just run some curves on it :) Good going!

Arthur Morris
04-21-2008, 12:52 PM
A bit more on the top or a bit off the bottom would work for me. Nice and sharp. Bummer about the (most likely) out of position primary feather. You could actually repair that with excellent QMing technique... You would of course need to correct the exposure.

Tim Cee
04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the tips and comments. I am not there yet as far as PP goes Artie but cracking the books daily so I hope to improve my ability real soon.