PDA

View Full Version : One more beautiful (!) goose for my fine forum friends

Jack Breakfast
08-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Folks,
Here is another look at the most underrated Canada Goose. Taken the other morning with a Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm. iso640, 1/500, 5.6. This is the full-frame capture. Although I'm quite happy with the picture as-is, I'll be most eager to hear your composition-related suggestions? And obviously any other comments you'll also wish to share. Many thanks...

Jack Breakfast
08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
For the curious: I was quite a bit below the fellow, who was at the top of a hill. I didn't want to include the fellow's legs & feet because he was standing on a paved walkway. Better by far to have the c.g. lost among the verdant grassways, or so I figure...

gail bisson
08-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Good IQ and perfect exposure on blacks and whites.
This would look great as a vertical. I would burn the brighter areas in the BG,
Gail

Jack Breakfast
08-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks Gail, I agree with you about the brighter areas and the vertical composition. Good ideas, both. I have this in mind:

Stu Bowie
08-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi Jack, I like your thinking with the angle, and I quite like how you have captured this. Well exposed, and you have a good HA. Comp wise, Im fine with both, although with your vertical, I would come in from the left a bit more. I agree with Gail to tone down the BG, and I would probably smooth it out a touch more.

Jack Breakfast
08-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Thank you for your input, Stuart. I've never smoothed a background before, but I know people like to do these things using the Gaussian Blur tool, I believe...something to think about, perhaps...

Ken Watkins
08-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Jack,
I liked this as presented, the vertical seems a little too tight on the RHS (as viewed) if you decide to stay vertical then a little more "look into" space would be great.

Robert Holguin
08-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Very nice shot. I really like the background, great pose, nice details, and exposed very well.
Well done.

Jack Breakfast
08-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Hello again folks, and thanks for the comments and thanks ESPECIALLY for taking the time to critique as pesky and commonplace bird as this! I prefer the full-frame capture as well...I do agree that selectively lightening the background couldn't hurt...