PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird moth

Allen Sklar
08-19-2012, 09:03 PM
I was shooting butterflies using a speedlight when the moth appeared, what a lucky break to be set up properly when a critter like this appears! 200 th, F 8, Iso 200.

Ken Watkins
08-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Allen,

We used to have these strange looking creature in our garden in France and I know how difficult it is to try to get an image of them. Obviously the head angle is not the best but nevertheless a fine shot, I hope you get some more opportunities.

Steve Maxson
08-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi Allen and welcome to the Macro forum! How fortunate you are to have captured one of these cool moths in flight - not an easy task! Excellent sharpness on the moth and it doesn't have that "flashed" look. I would wish that the moth was less centered in the frame - you might experiment with some alternate comps - perhaps cropping some from the right and top would be an option. You might also try a round of nr on the background. A couple tweaks should take this strong image up a notch or two. :S3:

Bob Miller
08-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Impressive image of the moth! I only wish the bg were not so busy! Keep watching because this is the time for these critters to appear

LindaHarden
08-24-2012, 07:57 PM
I have had some clearwing moths in my yard this year and so I know how hard it is to get any useable image... I try autofocus, manual focus, high shutter speeds, etc, etc.... I have never seen one actually land. I like Steve's idea of cropping. Good job.