View Full Version : Grey heron

Jonathan Ashton
08-20-2012, 03:27 AM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 LIS ISO 400 1/1000 sec f6.3
This shot was taken from a hide whilst visiting the Norfolk Broads,
All C&C welcome.

Daniel Cadieux
08-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Herons are such magnificient creatures, it is always a treat to photograph them! Good looking specimen here. Vertical comp works well, and the bit of vegetation at right edge is good. The rest of the water is too messy for my personal liking, and the light angle, although OK on the body, was less than optimal for the face. I realize you could not have moved due to being in a hide. Image needs CW rotation too.

Randy Stout
08-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Jonathan:

I think Daniel has covered it well. We are spoiled in some parts of the US (Florida) where you can stand out in the open and move around to get just the right light angle and composition, vs. being constrained by a hide.

The reflection is fairly weak, so you could consider cropping tighter to try to reduce some of the clutter.

I know that you aren't bothered by some natural imperfections, the trick is to try and not let them detract too much from the subject :S3:

Cheers

Randy

Don Nelson
08-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Nicely seen - I like the reflection. Good over-the-shoulder pose. I love herons - they are just a skittish out here in WCNA.
I don't much like the debris in the water. And I'd lighten the face just a bit and partially sharpen a little more. I might also crop a bit off the top (although not shown in repost)
Here's a repost to show what I'd do with the image. Hope you like it.

Stu Bowie
08-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi Jon, super alert pose from the heron, and I know the limitations shooting from a hide. Coming in from the right will work, and agree with Dan on a touch of CW rotation.

Jonathan Ashton
08-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks very much everyone, I agree with your suggestions and Don thanks for taking the trouble to reprocess, I do see an improvement. The bits of detritus didn't really bother me at all but I have to admit it looks better cleaned up!

Melvin Grey
08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
I must admit I prefer the cleaned up version - allows more concentration on the Heron. Very nice composition with the reflection and side lighting.