PDA

View Full Version : Large white Pieris brassicae

Jonathan Ashton
08-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 100-400L IS ISO 100 1/400 sec f8
I took this image next to my garden pond, I had planted the plant (hopeless with their names) to act as a magnet for butterflies. The large white is also referred to as the cabbage white, it is not very popular with people who grow them!
I was a little undecided over the lower OOF flower head in the end I decided to leave it there.
All C&C welcome.

Stu Bowie
08-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi Jon, I like the rounded shape of the plant, and how the butterfly is perched dead centre on top. Both pop nicely from your BG, and I would crop off the lower plant. :w3

Markus Jais
08-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Beautiful colors and great soft light. I agree with Stuart about cropping off the lower plant.

Markus

Nick Palmieri
08-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Very nice. Sharp ans well exposed. I agree on losing the bottom part of the flower and may take a bit off the top.

Steve Maxson
08-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi Jonathan. The butterfly gave you a great pose and you nailed the exposure to get detail in its bright wings. Also, very nice sharpness within your DOF. Like you, I'm a bit ambivalent about the lower clump of flowers. I think the image works well either with or without that clump. I might suggest taking a little off the top. Very nicely done!

Dave Leroy
08-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Really well done. Butterfly is nicely separated from bg and flowers. I kind of like the three layered look so would leave the bottom flowers.