PDA

View Full Version : Smiling Frog

Ed Cordes
08-19-2012, 07:05 PM
I made this image last weekend at the edge of my pond. 1DMK4 with 300 F4 hand held. I used F 5.6 to try to get the right DOF. This image is a large crop of only about 30% of original.

Thanks for looking.

Ken Watkins
08-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Ed,
With the benefit of hindsight I think stopping down a little more would have been better, but nevertheless it is nice to see something different.

Andreas Liedmann
08-20-2012, 02:05 AM
Hi Ed, nice one of this kind of animals.
Nicely processed with good detail and clarity where it counts, the only nit is the missing DOF to have the whole in focus and not that much the FG., nothing you can do about afterwards.

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
08-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi Ed, this image brought a nice chuckle this morning.

Although HH, at 1/1250 I think you could have shot a couple of frames with more DOF (obviously SS would have dropped) after you had captured this image, but it's always easier to comment with hindsight. Nice colour and love the bulging eyes. Using Levels with a channel selection brings even more depth/detail to face IMHO. Might try a hint more selective USM too. I like as presented, but also a slight off square format also works I feel, expanding on the wide mouth, popping/bulbous eyes and reduces a slightly busy BKG, just a thought. :S3:

Great to see something new.

TFS
Steve

Ed Cordes
08-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks guys for the comments. I agree that a tad more DOF would help. Not to sound like I am justifying a less than ideal decision the high SS was dictated by my teetering on the edge of the pond to get the low angle. Camera and lens were over the water while I was supported by loose rocks leaning over inches from the water. My old body can't stay still in that position for too long. If the opportunity presents itself again I will use an old pocket tripod as a monopod to get some stability.

The PP suggestions are good ones Steve. I will try them.

Thanks again for the constructive input.

Steve Kaluski
08-20-2012, 08:29 AM
My old body can't stay still in that position for too long. If the opportunity presents itself again I will use an old pocket tripod as a monopod to get some stability.

LOL Ed, good idea re pocket tripod although how far is this location, short walking distance? If so, how about a bean bag support? You might find easing back between lens & subject may help on your DOF, getting too close I have found at f/22 it's still not enough if that makes sense Ed. Good luck and perhaps we might see a RP?