PDA

View Full Version : Tree Swallow in Flight

Brian Kersey
04-20-2008, 08:51 PM
It was hard to capture this little bird in flight but overall it was worth it. I used 45pt AF at f/7.1, 1/1600, and iso:400. If someone can edit the file, please do so to get better results. thanks.

Paul Pagano
04-20-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't think I could move fast enough. I might have been tempted to try and blur the background more in this one. Great job catching that beauty in flight. Tough to do!

Maxis Gamez
04-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Brian,

Your main subject is too small in the frame for my taste.

Keep them coming!

Brian Kersey
04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the help guys,
I agree it's a bit small. It's pretty hard to fill the frame without clipping or cutting significantly/

Sid Garige
04-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Agree with subject being too small.

Dan Brown
04-20-2008, 10:02 PM
The bird is a little to small in the frame, and so a crop is a bit of a stretch. This is the best that I am capable of as far as editing. Crop, reduce noise, sharpen, eye work.

Dan Brown

PS. I just logged back on and your second image is gone?

Brian Kersey
04-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for editing for me. I wansn't sure if the second image was allowed to be posted so I removed it. I just put it back though :)

The bird is a little to small in the frame, and so a crop is a bit of a stretch. This is the best that I am capable of as far as editing. Crop, reduce noise, sharpen, eye work.

Dan Brown

PS. I just logged back on and your second image is gone?

Daniel Cadieux
04-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for editing for me. I wansn't sure if the second image was allowed to be posted so I removed it. I just put it back though :)

Brian, see point 19 in the "Guidelines":

19. Only one image per post.

However, reposting a reworked version of the same original image incorporating suggestions by fellow forum users is permissable as it is of an educational nature.:)

As for your original post, I agree the bird is quite small in the frame - and oddly tucked-in to a corner. Very hard to get a sharp swallow in flight, so you are applauded for your effort here!!

Arthur Morris
04-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Under a strict interpreation of the BPN rules the second image should be deleted but I am leaving it here for comparitive and educational purposes. Hope the powers that be (Hi Froggie!) can forgive me. IAC, the first image does not work at all for me; the tiny subject is lost in a bright almost horrific (to me), jangly BKGR. On the other hand, the second image is much, much stronger. And a great job by Dan in the re-post, not so much for the crop, but for making the eye more visible. Dan, was that intentional?

Brian Kersey
04-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the comments and help guys.
I think I really need to work on BIF. Arthur, you need to OK the post I tried to make in educational resources, I think that would benefit a lot of people.

Dan Brown
04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Art. Yes, thanks to your guidance, I attempted to lighten the black area around the eye and then added a couple of extra highlights in the eye itself. Thanks for noticing. Dan Brown

Arthur Morris
04-22-2008, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the kick in the butt. I approved your post (and finally, three others). Just learned how this morning...

Brian Kersey
04-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks Art :)!