PDA

View Full Version : Oil Paint in CS6

Kerry Perkins
08-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi all. The Oil Paint filter is all that is left of Pixel Bender in Photoshop CS6. It doesn't seem as flexible as the original, but at least they gave us this one. I also used a Nik Bi-Color filter on the image to add a little warmth to the bottom part of the frame.

WIlliam Maroldo
08-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Kerry; I like both PB and oil paint; each has its use, and I see a considerable difference, comparing PB oil paint preset and CS6 oil paint. Fortunately you can have CS5 and CS6 on the same machine. The biggest problem with PB is you can't use it on images larger than 4096 x 4096 pixels.There isn't a limit (or at least one I've seen) on size of images using CS6 oil paint. Problem with these 2 filters, or on most filters for that matter, is that if you use too small a base image the filter effect itself takes over. In other words, the effect of the filter becomes the dominant visual element, as opposed to the subject which I consider should be.
Just my 2 cents. regards~Bill

Nancy Bell
08-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Kerry, do you mean CS6 will not accept Pixel Bender as a plug-in? If this is so, do you know why it cannot?

Kerry Perkins
08-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Nancy, support for PB has been dropped. The software will not run it. Here is a discussion - http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2012/07/changes-to-pixel-bender-support-2.html We will have to use CS5 for PB filters.

Hilary Hann
08-20-2012, 07:15 AM
I don't use these filters, but you have achieved a really nice result here Kerry, I do like the warm tones you've introduced which seems to give a nice depth to the image.

Mark Fuge
08-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Very nice image and application, Kerry.

Like the effect on the bird.

I still have to get PS6. Also need PB someday. More learning curves to tread! :e3 :w3