PDA

View Full Version : The Crash

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2012, 05:54 PM
A "herd" of rhinos is called a "Crash". Just so you know. :bg3:

I was lying on my belly here, so apologies upfront for those who will think the grass is pesky...:w3
And no this was not in Mana Pools...this was further south :c3:.

Any chance to see some rhinos living carefree these days without being de-horned for protection or through poaching is a bonus for me.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f8.0 @ 1/640 SS @ ISO-1800
Pretty much FF
Overcast so the sky was bleh

Ken Watkins
08-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Morkel,
Amazingly good detail in these three, and certainly not Mana Pools:w3
"Pesky" grass is no bother at all, I certainly would not lay on the ground for Black Rhinos. They were certainly very cooperative in their positioning

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Terrific shot, and thanks for the "Crash", I didn't know :tinysmile_shy_t:

Steve Kaluski
08-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Hi Morkel, good to see you have the taste now for low POV :bg3: really works on this and obviously from previous images, it has paid off, it's the way to go, was this with MDT buddie? Obviously the slight overcast has help in this and good call on the DOF, think the 1Dx is up there now, no problem, and after 8 weeks wouldn't look back, works like a dream. If you had the chance, yes moving to the left would have been better, only to off set the grass a tad more. Good detail, clarity & sharpness where it counts. A couple of things I might soften out, but no deal breaker.

Cool image, nice one. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Roger Clark
08-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Hi Morkel,

Wonderful image and love the low perspective, My guides won't let me get out of the car let alone lay down, so I have to image through the lowest window (probably a wise decision, as we encountered a spitting black cobra two weeks ago in the northern Serengeti). I would darken the OOF grass at lower right, and I find the left rhino eye is cut off so wonder if you have another image with the eye better seen? Still a wonderful image to see three like this (I've never seen such a scene), I got some nice black rhino images of mother and daughter a couple of weeks ago, but none (that I recall) with them together in such a nice pose. Will post soon.

Roger

HadiAnsari
08-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Hi Morkel,
This family is beautifully depicted.I open the box you really enjoy

Andreas Liedmann
08-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Hi Morkel, cool one with quality as usual . Where is that taken ?

TFS Andreas

Markus Jais
08-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Awesome shot. I like the 3 being so close together.
And very brave lying on the ground close to them.

It is good to see some that haven't yet ended up in some weird medicine shop in Asia.

Markus

Marina Scarr
08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Super capture, Morkel. Great low POV and love seeing the trio close together. Details in those rhinos are very nice. Thank you for teaching me what a "crash" is!

Morkel Erasmus
08-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Thanks a lot for the kind comments, folks. :5