PDA

View Full Version : dragonfly

LindaHarden
08-18-2012, 02:29 PM
I saw this a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to identify it yet and would be pleased if someone recognizes it in addition to any other comments. Late afternoon natural light only. I happened to see it and went to get the camera... it stayed around a few minutes. I'm not sure if I like the wings being foward and the reflection of the wing on the eye but that was how this little creature posed.
Nikon D90, Sigma 150mm macro... hand held.
F7.1, ISO200, 1/200s
I left the flash off to avoid reflections and in Post Processing, I mainly cropped, levels and curves and slightly darkened the brightest reflection on the eye (enough?)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NhOGD3ocb_4/UCcAu2jotwI/AAAAAAAAAFY/-EUmTm28XdI/s800/DSC_7465%2520D90%2520dragonfly_01.JPG

Steve Maxson
08-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi Linda. This looks like a female (or juvenile) Blue Dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis). These guys often seem to perch with their wings down like this. Great background plus nice pose, comp, and sharpness. The wing shadows on the eye add an interesting touch. I would suggest trying a little more toning down of the bright areas on the eye, lower thorax, and last two spots on the abdomen. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Randy Stout
08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Linda:

Very nice colors in the background, I like the pose hanging onto the end of the perch. Well exposed. I rather like the delicate shadows of the wing on the eye.

Depth of field always a challenge in macro. I might suggest a slightly higher ISO to gain a bit DOF via smaller aperture.

You did a good job keeping the body in the plane of your depth of field.

From a comp. standpoint, I might light just a smidge more canvas on the right.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

PS: Steve and I must have been typing at the exact same time, so sorry for the duplication!