PDA

View Full Version : Western Gull

Robert Holguin
08-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Hello everyone. Here is a western gull that landed a couple of feet away from among the vegetation at La Jolla. This is FF.
C&C welcomed and encouraged.
Nikon 300s l Nikon 300F4 w/ 1.4tc l 1/800 l F11 l ISO 500 l Manual l Multi Segment l HH.

Randy Stout
08-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Robert:

The vegetation gives it a bit of a different look for a gull image. The greens do somewhat overpower the bird for me however, as both the bird and BG are rather subdued. Nice head angle.
I wish there was a bit more visual separation between the gulls body and the surf.

Sharp.

Cheers

Randh

Joe Senzatimore
08-17-2012, 08:35 AM
I agree with Randy's statements , and yet I still like this alot. Might just take a bit off the bottom.

Randy Stout
08-17-2012, 08:42 AM
RObert:

I think Joe is on the right track. Cropping from the bottom will reduce the impact of the grasses, and address some of my concerns.

Cheers

Randy

Don Nelson
08-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice head shot. I'm in agreement with Joe on cropping off the bottom. I'd wish for the piece of green vegetation on the rigt side to be gone (maybe move left just a bit next time?), and the close merger of the breast to the surf could be cleaned up on PS. Overall a very good head shot of this common (for us on the WCNA) Gull.

Stu Bowie
08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi Robert, I like your thinking with the angle of capture, and the whites look good on the gull. Good points above, and you could tone down the surf BG to give the gull a touch more separation.

dankearl
08-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Very cool and different Gull portrait.
I like the DOF a lot, it gives the impression of the bird coming out of fog.
I agree about some off the bottom.