PDA

View Full Version : Popocatépetl

Lorant Voros
08-16-2012, 01:21 PM
I spent the day in the land of volcanoes in Mexico. Here is a picture of the 2nd highest peak of Mexico , Popocatépetl 5,426 m (17,802 ft), an active volcano. I used NIK for the B&W conversion. Comments are welcome.

1DMKIII
24-70mm
ISO400
f:11
1/250

Markus Jais
08-18-2012, 10:29 AM
B&W works really well in this shot. Beautiful composition. I like the tree and the clouds.

Markus

Robert Amoruso
08-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Well done Lorant. I feel that the only thing I might add is if I was creating this composition, I would also have included more of the FG grass so the diagonal edge on the lower left did not coincide with the LL corner. Many times I will compose lines to the frame edge but have gotten into the habit of recomposing with a bit more FG. Allows me to judge later which I like better. Something to consider.

This image will still work well w/o the FG tree due to the sloping diagonal grass and tree lines in the FG - but its addition, so nicely balanced with the Bg mountain, shows you really thought out the composition and arranged it well.

Again, well done.

Don Railton
08-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Ho lorant

This is really a very nice composition... I especially like the cloud formation and I think because of these I might also like the colour version. Is that a farm house and hay fields in the distance??

DON

Morkel Erasmus
08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Lovely composition and tonal range in the conversion here Lorant. :cheers:
I would perhaps even burn the shadows on the volcano a bit more, and perhaps in the sky too?
Would also like to see it in colour - just for kicks :w3

Lorant Voros
08-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. The building on the right is the "Ranger Station" where you pay your 25 pesos and register. I walked off the path when I saw the dry tree thinking of this picture. The early morning helped with the nice clouds. I thought of B&W when I took the picture; it never meant to be with the color version for me.

Thanks again.

Lorant

Rachel Hollander
08-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Lorant - I too really like the composition and the conversion here. It works very well. Nicely done.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
08-27-2012, 04:43 AM
Love this image. Well seen and captured.

Mark Wiseman
08-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Hi Lorant,
A beautiful image with wonderful cloud structure and detail. For me, the tree adds more than enough foreground interest as the image mood is determined by the clouds. I would love to see the image in colour, as those clouds are amazing.
TFS best wishes and wonderful light,
Mark.