PDA

View Full Version : Brown hawker ovipositing

Jonathan Ashton
08-16-2012, 02:43 AM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro,ISO 800 1/320 sec f8 (no flash)
I took this shot from the garden pond, hopefully I will get some nymphs which will develop into the imago, this will probably take 2 years, the smaller common darter and broad bodied chasers took 1 year to develop.
All C& C welcome.

christopher galeski
08-16-2012, 04:51 AM
nice capture Jonathan,only seen one of these this year,twas a great summer:t3.

Markus Jais
08-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Great shot with excellent sharpness. I like the low angle.

Markus

Jonathan Ashton
08-18-2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks Chris & Markus, I was pleased to get several shots of this female, she came to the pond almost everyday for a week. The camera was on the tripod which was fully splayed open, two legs were in the pond and one just on the edge so that I got the camera as low as possible. I did of course manage to soak myself but happily not the camera:w3

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Hey Jon,
Fantastic angle and pose. I think the shallow DOF helped in this case as it made the BG recognizable but not compete with the action. A few bright spots in the FG I would tone down a touch.....but an easy tweak to another fantastic image.

Steve Maxson
08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Hi Jonathan. An outstanding image illustrating this behavior! The low shooting angle and excellent sharpness put this one over the top. I would agree about toning down some of the foreground bright spots - this is such a strong image that a couple minutes of extra processing would be well worth it. :cheers:

Jonathan Ashton
08-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks Steve & Roman, I had already toned down the highlights but I take on board your comments.