PDA

View Full Version : Toothy Grin

Cindy Cone
04-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Captive 'Gator, St. Augustine Alligator Farm. This one was resting his head on another big guy. Canon 40D, 1/60, f/14. Canon 100-400 IS.

Robert Amoruso
04-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Excellent Cindy - you did the guy justice. My big want with gator images is to make them interesting and attractive and you did that here.

Even at f/14 the eyes are a bit soft. One thing I have done as of late is to create two images - one like this and one with critical focus on the eyes and merge them in different layers in PS. If he is not moving and you use a tripod it is not that hard. WIth this image you could do a selection on the eyes and eye socket and selectively sharpen them.

Love the teeth - very white.

Cindy Cone
04-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Robert, especially for the tip about layering 2 photos. I thought I had it starp enough at 4/14 - until I looked at it on my computer.

Gus Cobos
04-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Very nice composition Cindy...:D This is a face that only a mother could love...:eek:
I hope he was not hungry???:eek: Anyway, I love your capture, it has a totaly different angle...
CONGRATS...:D

Alfred Forns
04-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Isn't Mr Gator a Croc? Love the angle !!!

Ed Cordes
04-21-2008, 09:07 PM
What great impact in this presentation. Teeth look like an orthodontist's dream! I like the sharpness in the teeth and the way you isolated the mouth exactly straight on. Eyes could be a bit sharper.

Cindy Cone
04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the comments from all.

- Isn't Mr Gator a Croc? Love the angle !!!

He does look more like a croc with that set of teeth, but I do think he just needs an orthodontist. He was in with the other big alligators, and his snout was definitely like that of a 'gator.

Vincent Grafhorst
04-23-2008, 07:04 AM
Very cool photo Cindy. The centred comp works perfect the way you framed this. More DOF indeed would have made this even better.