PDA

View Full Version : Siesta @ the Seashore

Marina Scarr
08-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks to local photographer and guide Jared Lloyd, this scene was captured on an island of the Outer Banks of NC where a band of about 125 wild horses roam. No birth control is practiced on this particular band unlike the other 2 bands of the Outer Banks. There appeared to be 5 foals during this visit. This foal was no more than a week old. In the mornings and evenings the horses come out of the dunes and/or the marsh to rest by the water's edge. What I like most here is the dichotomy of moods between the calm of the horses against the slamming surf of the Atlantic.

Canon 1D3, Canon 100-400L
F16, 1/640sec, ISO 640, manual mode
Handheld on my belly in the wet sand

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

Morkel Erasmus
08-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Well this certainly is a very unique setting for such a sweet moment, Marina. I love the dichotomy as you described it. Works a treat. :5
Would have loved to see this in sweet golden light, eh? :t3

Perhaps try some slight dodging on the horses, and also a round of very light sharpening on them?

Jamie Douglas
08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Great family interaction between the fowl and mare. Not sure if the horses look just a touch too vibrant.

Jamie

Ofer Levy
08-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Lovely image Marina! Horses don't look too vibrant to me nor I see the need for any dodging or sharpening. Taking this with a longer lens and having the BG a bit blurred could have taken it to the next level IMHO.
Here is a very quick repost just to show what I mean.

Ken Watkins
08-16-2012, 02:19 AM
Marina,

That sea looks very inviting, totally beautiful no nits from me.

Steve Kaluski
08-16-2012, 02:52 AM
A very arresting image Marina and your posts are a nice/welcome break from what what we normally see, please keep them coming. :cheers:

I like the way the image is broken up in layers as you work down through the image, well composed and having the crashing waves in the BKG is a great edition to the mood & feeling of the image. I know I have mentioned this before, but the BKG/FG looks very smooth, as if it lacks some 'structure and or contrast' as if everything has just been blended. It's difficult to try and express, just a feeling I get. :w3

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
08-16-2012, 03:46 AM
I know I have mentioned this before, but the BKG/FG looks very smooth, as if it lacks some 'structure and or contrast' as if everything has just been blended. It's difficult to try and express, just a feeling I get. :w3

TFS
Steve

Hence the reason I suggested some more sharpening on the horses...:bg3:

Steve Kaluski
08-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Indeed the subjects do need some more sharpening, but I'm referring to the water/BKG. I would have expected some texture/structure though, 'visually' showing some form within it, it just looks smooth. :S3:

Marina Scarr
08-16-2012, 10:16 AM
I am posting the original right out of ACR, with no adjustments whatsoever, dust spots and all.

Ofer, your point is well made. I took some at F8, F11 and F16. Unfortunately, my favorite poses and waves were at F16. I will remember your lesson for next time.

I agree on a little more sharpening.

Any more thoughts or suggestions now that you have seen the shot out of the camera? Appreciate them all!!

Gen Benjamin
08-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Beautiful intimate moment captured here
gen

Ken Watkins
08-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Marina,
I am totally bemused by the "structure/detail" comments the only image here without it is (or at least less of it) is Ofer's re-post where it has been blurred.

It is great as presented but interestingly the original with more room is equally beautiful, as far as I am concerned the OP is a real beauty

Morkel Erasmus
08-18-2012, 07:37 AM
what about this one Marina?
different crop which won't be to everyone's liking, but I like the horse against "all ocean BG"...perhaps there needed to be a bit more ocean on top for it to work properly...just an option and my opinion

selectively sharpened the horses (along with some Nik Tonal Contrast) as I feel you "original" here even has more texture/sharp details on the horses than your post up top.
WDYT?
:e3

Ofer Levy
08-18-2012, 08:19 AM
I like Morkel's pano idea but not crazy about cropping so much off the top.
Here is my take.

Robert vanMierop
08-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Love the moment and the exposure. I also prefer the original crop vs. the later pano that was done. (Did you get to surf that day?)