PDA

View Full Version : Theme Barnowl in rain

holger cremer
08-14-2012, 02:58 PM
After a long time not posting following a picture of a trip to the UK.
Taken in a rescue center for birds of prey.
CC welcome! Many more pictures under the new category on my HP!
Canon 1dx - 400 2.8 l is ii - f3.2 - 1/125 sec

Randy Stout
08-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Holger:

I like the comp, the interesting but not overpowering environment, subtle rain streaks, and of course, the beautiful bird.

I like the subtle lighting. My first impression was to suggest a 1/4 to 1/3 stop increase in exposure, but the post gives a very nice sense of the dark day while still showing the bird well.

I might consider a version with the flower head to the far left side, mid frame, toned down just slightly (lower the luminosity) so as not to compete with the birds face.

Cheers

Randy

Melissa Groo
08-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Wow. Love the 3d effect of this, the rain falling, the contemplative look, and the flowers. Beautiful image. I like Randy's suggestion on the lefthand flower.

Ofer Levy
08-14-2012, 05:27 PM
As far as I understand it is BPN policy to put a (C) next to the title when posting images of a captive bird. Please respect the rules and those who don't want to see such images.
Thanks,
Ofer

PhilCook
08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
As far as I understand it is BPN policy to put a (C) next to the title when posting images of a captive bird. Please respect the rules and those who don't want to see such images.
Thanks,
Ofer

I didn't know that...heavy duty ?

Anyway, it comes across well, and the white flowers work in well with the Owl, such a beautiful looking bird

nzmacro
08-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Beautiful shot and gorgeous subject. I love it as is.

Danny.

Daniel Cadieux
08-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks,
Ofer

We don't have such a policy on BPN for the title itself, but we do ask for disclosure - which in fairness the poster did in his text.

Very nice image Holger. I like the rainy weather and subdued light. Nice vertical comp. As for the flower Randy mentions...I'd be tempted to eliminate it fully.

Ofer Levy
08-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the clarification Daniel.

Melvin Grey
08-15-2012, 05:39 AM
A very nice image with the soft light and rain adding 'atmosphere'. Nice composition - I agree about removing the BG flower head as it would not alter the 'story' of the image - I would also remove the swivel and link of the jesses just visible between the foreground flowers. You have stated that it was a captive bird at a rescue centre - it is still a very nice image.

Marina Scarr
08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Nice to see you posting again, Holger! Really liking the environmental feel of this one, the pastel of the flowers and the falling rain.

Jim Crosswell
08-15-2012, 11:55 AM
I like the pose, setting, falling rain and composition. Excellent image Holger.

holger cremer
08-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Thx for the nice words and ideas with cleaning up the background but must say i prefer to leave pictures as they are taken.
Also I personally like both kind of scenarios - very clean BG but also environmental contex BG so i also make sure I use setups / situations in both directions.
So clean BG pictures will follow :)