PDA

View Full Version : NZ fantail

edward saltau
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Photograph taken at Purakanui bay on the south of the South Island, New Zealand. Overcast day inbetween rain bursts. These guys were playing around so much. Flying inches from my face and darting in and out. They were letting me get so close that i nearly went and got my macro! About 2 seconds after i made this photo, a NZ falcon swooped down and hit this little guy so hard that they were both forced about 2 metres into the bushes. falcon was back out with its food before i even knew what had happened. was impressive to see! sad though... but hey, thats nature.

canon 40D and 90-300mm 4.5-5.6 USM @ 300mm
1/160th f 7.1
ISO 640 with tripod
http://edwardsaltau.smugmug.com/photos/282392649_nYwmX-L.jpg

Dan Brown
04-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Neat bird! I would have loved to see the falcon also! It appears to me that maybe you didn't sharpen this image? I applied a little sharpening with NIK Sharpener Pro, then reduced noise with Noise Ninja. Then, it looked a little hot, so I adjusted the levels and the blacks and neutrals a little. What do you think? Dan Brown

edward saltau
04-20-2008, 07:41 PM
hey dan,
yea getting the falcon action would have been sweet but close to imposible i reckon. even if i was ready it happened so fast!
image has definitely been sharpenned but i'll refer you to the details of my lens. so so soft. your versions looks like the sharpness is a bit unnatural to me. btw, i only sharpened the bird, so the surrounding leaves haven't been sharpened.
EDIT: i had another go, what do you think? i'm still not happy with the quality of the sharpness around the head but i'm not sure there's much more i can do. i think this is better than the first post... bit more contrast too.
http://edwardsaltau.smugmug.com/photos/282431041_pSn9f-L.jpg

Fabs Forns
04-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Repost is better, but I would lower the contrast of the background. Increasing the contrast on it would only make it pop more. You can selective make the bird pop. BG is best in the original. Can you just fix the little subject?

Arthur Morris
04-20-2008, 07:55 PM
I like the image and the story. Despite the somewhat cluttered BKGR. The re-post is shaper but too contrasty.

Dan Brown
04-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Edward, I like your repost. Your sharpening is nice. You are right, my sharpening is a bit harsh. Dan

Alfred Forns
04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi Edward I would try selecting the head only then sharpening Softening the bg might make give strange look Great pose on the little guy !!!