PDA

View Full Version : Black Rhino in real B/W this time

Andreas Liedmann
08-13-2012, 11:25 AM
After the first not real B/W i have learned , this time i try it better.

Rhino photographed again in Etosha close to Namoutoni camp.

Canon EOS 1D IV
EF 500 IS L
window bracket

F8 / 1/800 sec / ISO 250

Processed in RPP and PS cropped to 60% of FF, cloned out some distracting elements.

C&C welcome as always good or bad.

Cheers Andreas

Markus Jais
08-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I think B&W works very well here. Great heads on view. The food is great - looks quite thorny. I might try to lighten the dark side a bit.

Markus

Steve Kaluski
08-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi Andreas, as an image, it's not working really working for me.

Firstly I think it needs more contrasts between the tones and this is where not all colour works as a conversion IMHO, as the detail, texture & form all seem to be lost within the overall tone of colour. Yes you can see the features and all the elements, but it just seems to lack that uniqueness that a good B/W conveys. I'm not sure if the saying is correct, but if you want a B/W you need to shoot and think in B/W, as you see things differently and it records things differently, perhaps those more skilled can answer that? I think the head on/grazing is a little safe too and with the FG and thorn bush, it's all a little busy in B/W. I wouldn't lighten it on the LHS as you have enough detail, albeit in shadow there and to me, it looks right, with the strong light coming in from the RHS. Personally I don't think viewing it in colour would bring anything more to the image, but...

Andreas you have always asked me to be honest and I have tried to be, albeit this time in a negative way, however these are just my thoughts and views and others hopefully we see it in other ways and convey their own thoughts too.

TFS
Steve

Stan Cunningham
08-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm not a skilled moderator like Steve but I like the black and white.
If it were mine I would have wished the eyes were more open but the shadow shows the light was rough on the rhino as well as the photographer.

Andreas Liedmann
08-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks folks for stopping by and commenting,
i knew before hand that this would a be difficult one , myself i am also not sure if this would work. But if you not try , no gain no pain.

Steve- as i said always critiques are there to be done, good or bad so no worries. If i cannot stand them i am wrong here , so go on.

Stan - even in the original color version eyes are not really visible.

Thanks Andreas

Steve Kaluski
08-14-2012, 11:44 AM
If i cannot stand them i am wrong here , so go on.

It's the way to go. :cheers:

Robert Amoruso
08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Andreas,

To amp up the B&W look/contrast I:

1) Mild Curve Adjustment
2) Local Contrast Enhancement

I would suggest more sharpening too.

This may be to much for some, but some high-detailed images like this can benefit from a High Contrast treatment to the point of hurting the eyes - at least IMO.

Anyway, I am good with the bush in the mouth. I would suggest, if it was possible, to move left and get the horn right at the center of the rhino's head. Symmetry can work well with a vertical image like this.

Ken Watkins
08-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Andreas,

This for mr pails into insighificance in comparison to your other B & W post, for me this does not have the joy and is for me very ordiinary. I an sure it could look better in colour do not let art triumph over substance!

Grady Weed
08-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Andreas,

I do not mind the brush in the mouth, the dark left side when compared to the more detailed defined right side, it has a nice appeal. I like the more high key as Robert points out. I do feel the image suffers from a lack of overall fine details as a whole. Perhaps the harsh light is to blame for that. But I feel it can be a keeper, especially if YOU like it! Our opinios really do not matter if you like it. Thanks for sharing.