PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Yellowlegs

Sanjeevprakash
08-13-2012, 10:55 AM
I was at JBWR yesterday morning. As the tide was low I got the opportunity to walk on the dried bed of the East Pond.Although,I would have loved taking a low level shot,seeing the muck on the floor I decided against it. There were a lot of least sandpipers and Yellowlegs.
Nikon D300s, 300mm f 2.8 + TC1.4 ,1<big>/</big>640 sec, f/8, ISO 200,Manual Exposure.

Comments & Critique appreciated.

Thanks

Randy Stout
08-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Sanjeev:

Well, your nice reflection would have been lost or degraded if you had been lying flat in the muck, so always a trade off! I like the angle in the frame, colors.

I have mixed feelings about the ripple to the left. My first reaction was to suggest removing it, but the bird appears to be looking at it, as if there is something there of interest, so I am OK leaving it.

The whites look a bit overexposed on my work computer. It does tend to display whites a bit hot.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
08-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Nice alert pose. As Randy noted, the higher POV gave you a reflection (and saved a cleaning bill). Whites look bright, but not blown.

With the tide low, were you able to walk all the way along the back side of the East Pool, up to the north end? Anything up there?

gail bisson
08-13-2012, 03:07 PM
I like the reflection and the water color.
I think it needs a hint of CW rotation.
The IQ of the feathers of back and shoulders is lacking. Is this a large crop? Perhaps wet feathers?
Gail

Sanjeevprakash
08-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Randy Thanks. I did recover the whites in LR3.I'll take a look again.

Bill, I was late on Sunday as I reached the pond around 8:30 AM. I just walked the curve of the southern end until I reached the Back side. I did not go all the way up to the North end.There were quiet a few species visible.I was able to see the Laughing Gull,Snowy egrets,Least Sandpipers,Yellowlegs,Muted Swans,Black & Glossy Ibis.There were quiet a few photogs at the northern end of the Pond.There were lot of muted Swans at the North Endof the East Pond.

Gail Thanks. This is 70% of the Original Image..

Daniel Cadieux
08-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Yes, a higher vantage point is better when reflkections are good, if that is what you are going for. Good exposure, and I like the water reflection lines on the belly. I agree with some rotation, and I'd like the water "bluer" (less yellow)...in Selective colour you can reduce the yellows in the blue and/or cyan channels.