PDA

View Full Version : A green spider

LindaHarden
08-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Spiders are not really my thing but I didn't have much luck with butterflies and as I noticed this spider lurking on a plant... I think it is one of the things that sometimes hunts and kills the smaller skipper butterflies in my yard.
Comments welcome. I wondered if I should have cropped it even closer. I have another at F20 but it didn't seem to have a lot more DOF.
NIKON D90, Sigma 150 macro, SB700 flash with diffuser.
1/320s, F13, ISO250, -0.3ev
Processing in NX2 was minimal.... cropping, levels and curves and a little sharpening. Removed a blade of grass at the bottom of frame also.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jlcHPGhh7ZY/UChCbgDzNZI/AAAAAAAAAGA/JJyIrTvSMXo/s800/DSC_7823%2520D90%2520green%2520spider_01.JPG

Dave Johnson
08-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Hello Linda, lots to like about this one - the subject, background, light and perch all lovely. I just wish he was looking towards me a little more. Still a nice image. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Dave J.

LindaHarden
08-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks Dave... I realized after reading your comment that I was not quite satisfied with this photo and now I think I know why... The leg that is just behind the eyes is about the same color and so the eyes aren't really standing out to catch the viewers attention. I wish I had noticed that through the viewfinder.

Jonathan Ashton
08-15-2012, 05:30 AM
I imagine this was a tricky shot to compose - so many legs and leaves etc. You have good focus, I would not recommend going down to f22, you will lose detail due to diffraction.

Steve Maxson
08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi Linda. Another nice one! Good comp and background plus good sharpness within your DOF. The crop looks fine to me. The one thing I notice is the whitish tips of the flower buds and, not having seen the actual plant, I suspect this is due to the flash. You might try toning these down a little. One method is to paint over them using a low opacity (say 10% or less) brush after selecting a green color similar to the rest of the bud. The trick is to add just a subtle touch of green and not overdo it - practice makes perfect. :S3: Overall, this is very well done!

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Hey Linda,
Great advice from Steve on this to tweak it. On the tech side.....remeber that it is the flash that will freeze movement, so you can lower your SS to even 1/100 sec. and that can work You also had a bit of room on the iso side. I recommend you push that when I teach so you have options in choosing f/stops and this allows the most natural light in to balance that flash. You are doing very well and this is very nicely done overall......just wanted to give you some more ideas!