PDA

View Full Version : caterpillar-colors

Valerio Tarone
08-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I've got mani shot during the summer and some of them are waiting to be sent.
I don't know which caterpillar is.
Nikkor300 nikkor 60mm f32!/50 ISO2000 ap.pr.shot remote control cable wb:sunlight some celophane to face the sun a piece of tin-foil at the opposite. ocular lens . in PP.:noise reduction ,recovery of sharpness in USM, curve as inverted shape .
I though not work the white spots-highlits as they're natural.

Valerio Tarone
08-13-2012, 12:13 AM
I had forgotten: 60mm and three extension tubes.

Jonathan Ashton
08-15-2012, 05:40 AM
I am not too sure if I have understood your technical details was it 1/50 sec at f32 and ISO 2000, or perhaps ISO 200. The image is not as sharp as it might be, I think this is because DOF is very limited indeed. If you had you not used extension tubes you would have had less magnification and therefore a greater DOF, you would also have had more light and the image would have been a little sharper. In my experience I always find it best to keep things as simple as possible, maybe if additional light was required a simpler way would be to place a small piece of tissue paper over the built in flash gun and use fill in at say -1.6 to -2.0. If you have a separate flash gun I would recommend fitting a Stofen omnibounce diffuser. This provides a very convenient and even light at minimal expense.

Valerio Tarone
08-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Yes Jonathan, 2000 iso, three extension tubes. I appriciate your advice to use a flash at -1.6 -2.

Steve Maxson
08-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi Valerio. This is certainly a colorful caterpillar! Jonathan makes some very good points above for you to consider. Another possible reason for the loss of sharpness could be diffraction due to using f/32 - my macro lenses seem to give rather soft images at that f/stop. You might also try a round of noise reduction on the background. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Hey Valerio,
A good abstract of the caterpillar with nice colors. You may want to try diffusing the light a bit more as well to make it a bit more even. With all those tubes.....and f/32, your dof can be very tricky! Try using live view and zooming in to adjust critical sharpness.

Valerio Tarone
08-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Thank you Roman. I was very concentrated in getting a strong DOF. I think, now it should had to consider the flash, (it was in my car not far away). The cellophane trasparent, for me, works well. I suppose Steve means a selective sharpness on the BG.