PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Tree Frog.

Dave Johnson
08-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Hello folks, I've finally plucked up the courage to post an image here on BPN :e3. The high level of images here was kind of intimidating for a raw beginner to photography but I'm quite pleased with this one and thought I'd fire it out there for you to have a look at and hopefully critique.

As the title says this is a Japanese tree frog, a very common species here. The image was taken on an overcast morning.

Shooting information:
Camera Model Canon EOS 60D (On a tripod)
Shooting Date 07/26/12
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/13
Av( Aperture Value ) 9.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 320
Lens EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Focus Manual
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5000K)
Cropped to eliminate clutter on RHS.

Best Regards,

Dave J.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af357/DaveJOutlander/BPN%201024x800pixels%20size%20pics/IMG_1701bpn.jpg

Satish Ranadive
08-14-2012, 05:20 AM
Excellent image.Background colors complimenting well with frog.I like the golden eye of the frog. Are you sure about ss1/13??

Satish.

Dave Johnson
08-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Thank you for the comment Satish. Yes the shutter speed is correct. It was a dead calm, cloudy morning and in shade so to keep DOF and ISO down I had to lower S/S. I did use a cable release for this one which may have helped slightly?

Thanks again for taking the time to comment it's much appreciated.

Dave J.

Steve Maxson
08-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi Dave and welcome to the Macro forum! You certainly selected an excellent first post! I love the pose of the frog and you have excellent sharpness within your DOF - especially at such a slow ss. In an ideal world, I would wish for a little more DOF on the frog, but given the conditions, you didn't have too many options - one thing you might have done would be to increase ISO to 400 to allow a corresponding increase in f/stop - just something to consider next time out. :S3: I like the comp as presented. As an alternate comp, you might consider cropping a little from the left and top to remove a couple of the brighter areas from the background - a minor point. This is very well done and I hope to see more of your work here in Macro!

Dave Johnson
08-16-2012, 03:10 AM
Hi Steve and thanks for the welcome, all the points you've made are appreciated and noted. I think the reason for lack of DOF is a focusing miss on my part as the water on the reed in front of the frog seems really sharp. I used the view finder to focus manually at 5X magnification so have no excuses apart from perhaps I need my eyes testing :bugeyed: Will take more care in future. Thanks again.

Dave J.

Roman Kurywczak
08-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi Dave,
Excellent first post! I too would have pushed the ISO to even 640 on the 60D.......gives you a lot more options regarding movement. I generally prefer tighter comps.....but this is very pleasing and very nicely done!