View Full Version : Stare

Jan Saunders
08-12-2012, 02:55 AM
This was taken by spotlight at Elephant Plains

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Canon 100 - 400 L f4.5 - 5.6 USM IS
Settings: Manual, f5.6 at 1/125 of a second
ISO: 1000

This image is as shot ( I did not crop it)

Ken Watkins
08-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Jan,

I really like to see images taken using spotlight it is so much better for the animals not to use flash, it also gives a nicer light.

When you say that this image is "as shot" do you mean you have done no processing, just saved at the right size for posting here?

I do not know what if any software you have for processing software you have but based on the assumption that you have some version of PS I would suggest the following,

Firstly it needs a little sharpening, most digital images require this as a result of the processes used in capturing the image.

I would try to lighten the face just a little, perhaps an adjustment in curves would be sufficient.

Other than the above minor nits this is a very pleasing image.

Markus Jais
08-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Great lion shot. The colors of the spotlight are fantastic. I like the composition and the stare.

I Agree with Ken about the sharpening.

Markus

Steve Kaluski
08-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Hi Jan, nice to see you posting here too. :S3:

Although not a lover of spotlights, in this instance I think it has worked extremely well, just giving enough light to the face with that dense back surrounding the subject. I also like the very dramatic, strong black shadows on the LHS of the face, just gives depth/impact to the whole image. The position in frame works a treat, although a hint more space above would be nice if you have it. Don't forget you can post bigger to a max of 1024 x 800px wide in this format, but only 800 max high.

Personally I would leave it as presented, but with only a suggested couple of subtle tweaks. There is nice depth within the eyes which have that beautiful glossy sheen to them which is a lovely touch. I would just adjust the Levels RHS to say 245, however I might just mask the chin area so you don't blow the whites, you could and depending on your PS skills just apply a slight Exposure adjustment on that area too to bring it down, but not great deal if not. Then perhaps adding some vibrancy, with a hint say of +5 Saturation, adding just a little bit more colour overall to the lioness. Then, as mentioned, apply some selective sharpening to the face, ie eyes, nose mouth, job done.

Just curious, but was there anything done on the lighter part of neck RHS?

BTW was this Brendon C?

TFS
Steve

Jan Saunders
08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
BTW was this Brendon C?

Jan Saunders
08-12-2012, 03:08 PM
BTW was this Brendon C?

Brendon C was the host photographer yes. How did you know?

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

Jan Saunders

Morkel Erasmus
08-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Good to see you on here Jan...:bg3:
I think what Steve meant is: Was this WITH Brendon Cremer (on an ODP safari)?

Good use of the spotlight here. I agree on the suggested sharpening. Not only do digital files need it, you also need to RESHARPEN every time you downsize as you lose crispness when down-sampling. :t3
I'd be interested to see a repost with Steve's suggested tweaks.

Steve Kaluski
08-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Not only do digital files need it, you also need to RESHARPEN every time you downsize as you lose crispness when down-sampling.

Good call Morkel.

Andreas Liedmann
08-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I am not a fan , as others, of spotlight photography.
But in here it is not too bad, for my taste with the nits stated above you can improve it.

TFS Andreas

Stan Cunningham
08-13-2012, 05:57 PM
I think the photo is very powerful. I would just go with the extra sharpening and be happy with it.

Steve Canuel
08-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Nice dark, moody shot. Spot light seems to be well placed. Agree with just a touch of sharpening.

Rudi van den Heever
08-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Good advice given and with some TLC this image will rock! Nicely done Mr Saunders...:w3

Robert Amoruso
08-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Good to see you on here Jan...:bg3:
I think what Steve meant is: Was this WITH Brendon Cremer (on an ODP safari)?

Good use of the spotlight here. I agree on the suggested sharpening. Not only do digital files need it, you also need to RESHARPEN every time you downsize as you lose crispness when down-sampling. :t3
I'd be interested to see a repost with Steve's suggested tweaks.

I agree.

Grady Weed
08-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Nice suggestions for improvement made above. The spotlight look here has given me ideas for a nice wolf image in B&W and a color version. Thanks for sharing and the motivation to explore more.