PDA

View Full Version : Just a bear

Stan Cunningham
08-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I just got back from my tour in Katmai as well and I had fully intended to post some great running and jumping in water shots.
But Chas and his gang have posted plenty so I thought I would just post a nicely colored bear with a similar colored background.
We too had an amazing time in Katmai, floatplanes into different locations with the pilots telling you where the bears are and taking you there is a great way to succeed.
And since it's 114 in Phoenix, I too am looking forward to going back in 3 weeks to try and get them in winter coats.
5D M III, ISO 1600, 7.1 at 1/320 sec. (very low clouds forced us out early that day), 500 F 4 with 1.4 III
As always I appreciate and feedback.

Ken Watkins
08-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Stan,

You have chosen a "difficult" time to post a bear image, comparisons will inevitably be made with the charge images.

Nevertheless this is a fine image, with great face and the lifting foot adds so much.

Clearly light has not helped you as the shutter speed was not quite enough for the moving foot, but I still like it.

Marina Scarr
08-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I like the lifted foot as well as the hillside environment. As mentioned by Ken, you have chosen a tough time to post a bear. I also like seeing his splayed paw on the rock and the way he looking right at you...through you! :)

Steve Kaluski
08-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Hi Stan, great to know you had a good trip and these bears are certainly great fun to both work & photograph with. If you were using Otters & Beavers to get out to these locations were you based in Kodiak?

Regarding the image, the first thing that strikes me is the Blue/Cyan cast, very evident in the water and rocks, easily adjusted, but you may find you have to reduce all of the Blue & less Cyan, but this needs to be applied selectively. I might also be tempted to do a 2.5 - 3 degree CW rotation. The water does not need to be bang on level, but visually not having it slopping does look better IMHO. The blacks are slightly clip, probably in the dark of the right paw as viewed, likewise in the shadow of the left front paw, but no great deal breaker. I would also add some selective USM to the face, this brings both sharpness & clarity to the subject and it looks really good, with those chestnut eyes. The position in frame is good, likewise the eye contact with the photographer/viewer and the splashing water is a nice touch too.

Trust the next trip is as fruitful.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
08-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi Stan,
like the bear walking along the the water edge at the same time looking into the camera, looks like the bear is checking you out.

The technical stuff like colors etc is already covered by Steve, so no need of going with more, only i would like to see a bit more room to RHS and the top , a bit tight in the frame , for my taste.

Besides that i like the shot, as stated above not that spectacular , but it has and cannot be all the time that spectacular.

Cheers Andreas

Stan Cunningham
08-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Steve, I will try out your comments, and thanks for all your efforts. Not sure how you find the time.
We were based out of King Salmon and flew to areas on the Peninsula on that side of the Alaska range. Brooks was one and a couple other small creeks we knew had bears from the pilots and fisherman reports. With 5 of us we always took a beaver which is my favorite of the float planes. Be back at Brooks camping in 3 weeks by myself trying to get some different shots as the fish and bears are in deeper water and have thicker coats.
I've got some action shots I will be posting but I didn't have the close ups Chas and tin man did so no sense in posting those yet.

Steve Kaluski
08-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Stan if you need help just ask.

I've got some action shots I will be posting but I didn't have the close ups Chas and tin man did so no sense in posting those yet.

I will come Stan, the more you shoot the more experienced you become, likewise the closer shots too. :S3: