08-11-2012, 02:36 PM
1DX, 500mm
Manual, Eval on grass, 1/1600 @ f/7.1, ISO 800
Post-production- 15in MBP, LR4, CS6, NIK Color Effex Pro 4

See you where there is light, or at the computer,

Chas in AK

Stan Cunningham
08-11-2012, 04:15 PM
You guys are killing me Chas, I thought I had some great ones. Super job.

Andrew Merwin
08-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Another great image Chas. I like that I can see the back legs in this one. TFS.

Ken Watkins
08-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Chas,
This is what I call capturing the moment, those splashes are wonderful, the claws but most of all the eyes:cheers:
Looking back at Tin Man's image it looks like this maybe from the same "moment", I find it interesting that your processing, or rather result is quite different, but then of course it could be the different bodies?

Either way both are "winners":cheers::cheers::cheers:

Hopefully this is the start of 1 a day

Tom Rambaut
08-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Powerful image - I think I would have soiled myself.

Lovley detail! Would like to see this one poster size on a wall!

Marina Scarr
08-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Killer image, Chas. Great action/behavior captured here. Love the water splash and those ominous looking claws. The one thing your image doesn't have which Tin Man's does is the bear's swirling fur which adds a bit more drama. My intuition is telling me you probably have that frame as well. :)

Jay Gould
08-13-2012, 05:10 AM
Chas, you is da man!

Now that the complement is out of the way :w3 lets talk color: your image and TinMan's image: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/101765-Brown-Bear-Pouncing

Same place/time? Your's is brown; there is a redness in TinMan's bear. Your background green is a different green; probably due to the same processing as the processing applied to the bear.

Both images are over the top fantastic; so this not about anything other than color.

Having been to the Katmai, having spent a week along the Alagnak River, and having spent several days at Brooks Falls - all in 2008, my senior memory is that your bear is the color of the bears I recall -and we are talking about a lot of bears over two weeks.

Your thoughts appreciated.

I have also posted notice of this question/issue in Tin Man's thread.

Steve Kaluski
08-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi Chas, well it doesn't get much better than this, eyes focused, claws deployed, a big old powerhouse. The splashing/cascading water really displays what power these animals can unleash in a split second.

BTW Popped the intro text into black, it had defaulted to white.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
08-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Great image Chas,
can you please post a bit bigger your very good images, thanks.

Andreas

Charles Glatzer
08-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Jay,

I think you guys already know the answer. Color is subjective, monitors are calibrated differently, or not at all, etc. I think T's pics are a bit more saturated and yellow, but if you had nothing to compare them to ... even then some may prefer his palate.

The 1DX out of camera color is the best I have ever seen. My MBP is calibrated to the same specs as my iMac 27. Having worked in and owned a commercial color lab for a zillion years I have a very firm grasp and eye for color. My wife will always defer to me when trying to match colors. Still, the actual color my lie somewhere in between, wink.

That said, I can go back to many of my own images after a period of time and view them differently, wanting to further tweak the color, burn, dodge, etc. Again the whole thing is subjective.

Cheers,

Chas

Tin Man Lee
08-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks Chas!
I didn't know that with a rich knowledge on color, it not only helps in photography but also helps make your wife happy.

Anyway, thanks Jay for bringing up a good point.
I never got a hold of accurate color myself.
I loved Fuji velvia back in the days but I guess its too saturated for many people.
I probably got carried away a little bit on the red when trying to bring out the real color of the salmon in the river and that affected the color on the bear.

Chas, maybe you should start a technical workshop on color adjustment.

Morkel Erasmus
08-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Awesome shot Chas. The head-on angle, the eyes that pop out at the viewer, the splashes and of course the drama make for a very compelling shot.
:5 :cheers:

Charles Glatzer
08-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks Chas!
I didn't know that with a rich knowledge on color, it not only helps in photography but also helps make your wife happy.

Anyway, thanks Jay for bringing up a good point.
I never got a hold of accurate color myself.
I loved Fuji velvia back in the days but I guess its too saturated for many people.
I probably got carried away a little bit on the red when trying to bring out the real color of the salmon in the river and that affected the color on the bear.

Chas, maybe you should start a technical workshop on color adjustment.

Tin,

Your image processing is very good. Just a bit of Saturation masking to bring out the color where desired instead of globally is all that is required.

You should be very proud of your images, they are spectacular. As I mentioned to you before...you have a gift.

Chas

Steve Canuel
08-13-2012, 10:57 PM
A real nice "you are there" type of shot Chas. Like the clear view of the triangle of the nose and ears and also how the left arm is coming out and forward through the water.