PDA

View Full Version : Little Owls on guard

Richard Unsworth
08-11-2012, 11:32 AM
:S3:

I was very pleased when I realised these Little Owls where setting up home next to my rental house in Orique, Beja, Portugal

Unfortunately I never did get closer to them but this shot shows the place they chose to raise a family.

The nest was somewhere close by in the millions of flowers/rocks

7D 100-400@400 TRIPOD F 8 ISO 800 1/250
NR and smartsharp 100,0.5 crop is around 50
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bill Dix
08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Nice record shot. Wish they had turned around, of course, but this captures the moment and the setting.

Richard Unsworth
08-11-2012, 04:14 PM
In October I am moving to live at this location for one year at least, I will be able to set up a hide somewhere around this area.
There are Kites, Eagles,Montagu Harrier seen here several times each day so the coming months should be , lets say interesting.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Marina Scarr
08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I am okay with the owls looking away from the viewer but the dirt road I find distracting. Like the contrast between the flowers and the dark bark. Sounds as though you're going to have a good year at this location.

Daniel Cadieux
08-11-2012, 07:50 PM
I can appreciate that you could not get closer this time. I do wish for more dof to get both birds sharp, and personally I find the bottom half of the perch too much...I'd crop away about 2/3 of the thicker part at bottom (I know the image is already cropped lots though.). Sounds like a great place, I'm sure you'll have tons of opportunities and fun there!!

PhilCook
08-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Awwwwww....you have Owls living near by your rental house...so...lets do a deal on rent fees shall we ? hahahaha

Hoping you get some great shots in the near future

Ken Watkins
08-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Richard,

Sounds like you will have plenty of good opportunities over the next year, I wish you the best of luck.

As to this image I agree with the comments about the road and perch.

Melvin Grey
08-12-2012, 10:20 AM
It sound like you have found a great location for the coming year - I look forward to the coming shots. With regard to this image, you have explained the situation and it is a fine record shot but - not one of your better images, I'm still looking forward to the next ones!

Richard Unsworth
08-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes Melvin

It is not too good, best I could get.

Hopefully having them outside the door should be interesting!

Stu Bowie
08-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Hi Richard, great having two in the frame, and I like the splash of flowers in the BG. As you are going back for a while, I would try and get a close of an individual, but no doubt, I dont have to tell you that. :w3

Richard Unsworth
08-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Well indeed Stuart, 2 and flowers is what appealed to me.
this shot was over big distance and I was pleased as I have seen very few owls ever!

Should be able to get closer next time