PDA

View Full Version : Waterbuck Exit 2

Ken Watkins
08-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Given that my first post from this sighting attracted so much attention, interesting suggestions and debate, I thought that posting the next frame might be of interest.
It has clearly not got enough space on the RHS in fact I have cropped from LHS to give an impression of more space but I feel it has not really worked. Circumstances are the same i.e. a grab shot with no chance to change settings from trying to take White Breasted Bee-eaters in their shaded colony, taken from a drifting boat.

Taken on Lake Manze channel, Selous Game Reserve 6th July 2012 and processed in my normal way

EOS 1D MkIII

300mm F4

F5.6, ISO 1600, 1/3200

I will be on a business trip for the next week, I do work now and then:bg3:

Stan Cunningham
08-11-2012, 01:05 PM
I agree it would be better to have more room on the right, but with large animals it's often difficult when you are close. Still great IQ and you can sense the fear in his eyes. Good job.

Charles Glatzer
08-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Way cool pic, with peak action captured and crazy IQ.

Chas

Ofer Levy
08-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Another fantastic image Ken!
Couldn't resist adding some canvas to the right and boosting colours and contrast a bit.

Ken Watkins
08-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Stan, Chas & Ofer,

Thank you very much for your kind comments which are appreciated greatly.

Ofer the extra has been added seamlessly thanks.

I love taking images from boats the different POV's are great, we are returning to Lake Kariba soon for some more sessions of a life on the oceans wave:bg3:

Marina Scarr
08-12-2012, 11:57 AM
A wonderful second capture of this series, Ken. The added canvas and slight boost in colors bring it up another notch.

Steve Canuel
08-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Another nice one Ken. As Chas noted, IQ looks great Having more of the tree visible for this shot gives a better sense of the riverine habitat that you caught this guy in and works better than the previous post. Ofer's repost works okay for me but knowing that you don't care to manipulate too much, I think an even tighter crop on the LHS (to just outside the edge of the flying sand, keeping a sliver of sand all the way across the bottom, and allowing space for the horns up top) can work alright too. Puts one of the ROT power points on a diagonal right between the eye and ear (if you care to use those kind of guidelines). Love the variety of your posts.

Robert Amoruso
08-14-2012, 07:18 PM
I like the action and the sand spraying from the hooves but the tree and how much the head blends into it is a large distraction for me.