PDA

View Full Version : Light Box Inspiration

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I have been extremely busy both professionally and at home.....so not much time to post but wanted to drop in and let you all know here that you did inspire me with your lightbox and high key photography! I got a chance to go out last week and play with the light box setup and hope to share a few of them in the next week or so. I was doing water drops on the light box and when changing setups......dropped a common daisy accidentally on it.....the posted image is the result of a few hours playing with different compositions. I got a chance to play with a new Sigma 70mm macro for this as well......as most women find my beloved 180mm Sigma macro too heavy....so wanted to show you all another option.
All in camera. Canon 1D Mark IV, tripod mounted, with the Sigma 70mm macro, manual mode, at f/22 for 1/13 sec and ISO 640. 24 light led panel light used as fill on Sunflower.

Bob Miller
08-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey Roman....I like the look you're getting with the light box and the composition is well thought out. I have an old large slide viewer (2.5 ft by 1 ft wide) . Would that serve as a lightbox with perhaps window light for fill? TFS

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Hey Roman....I like the look you're getting with the light box and the composition is well thought out. I have an old large slide viewer (2.5 ft by 1 ft wide) . Would that serve as a lightbox with perhaps window light for fill? TFS
Thanks Bob! I use my old slide viewer.....although it was bigger! I only use a portion of it. The window as fill should work. You can also probably bounce flash off reflector or something similar.

Jason Stander
08-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Hi Roman... beautifully comp'ed image... lovely detail... I feel though slight contrast would make the image pop slightly... otherwise WD!

Dave Mills
08-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Roman, Love the softness and mild graphic quality to the image, The comp is also well handled...Very nice!

Anita Bower
08-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Roman: This is just lovely! The arrangement of flowers is pleasing, with the smaller ones framing the larger. I like how some of the white ones are hidden, and some are perky. Beautiful details on the sunflower! I like how this pleasing arrangement is placed in the frame. The lightbox worked so well--gorgeous, uniform light. I may have to try one sometime, maybe this winter when I'm less busy. I wonder why you used such a high ISO, or if it was somewhat accidental. The only thing I might change is toning down (not sure what I even mean by that) the green center of the upside down daisy in the lower right corner. My eye keeps getting drawn to that. Maybe reduce the clarity? Not sure. Excellent work!

Jonathan Ashton
08-15-2012, 05:48 AM
Roman you have an eye for this stuff!! If tried to do something like this it would like a real pig's ear of a job!! I like the colours, they appear muted or desaturated to what I might have expected. Is this consequential to the light source or have you desaturated it?
You and Bob refer to a slide viewer - is this the same thing as what we call a slide projecter (I am guessing it is). I remember using one about 20 yr ago, I got some sand and spead it out to dry, then I placed several different shells on it and made strong side light illumination with the projector - it was very effective.

Steve Maxson
08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi Roman. I'd say your hours of experimentation really paid off! The comp is very pleasing and the light box lighting worked very well. Excellent work! :cheers: