PDA

View Full Version : Long-tailed sylph, Ecuador

Ben_Sadd
08-11-2012, 06:49 AM
It has been some time since I posted here, but I have still been browsing when I can.

Here is an image of a long-tailed sylph in Ecuador from the end of 2011.

Look forward to your c&c.

7D
500mm f/4 + 1.4 TC
Manual 1/320 f/8
ISO 800

Randy Stout
08-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Ben:

Although the perch is a little massive for this tiny fellow, I love the repeating lines in it, which mimic the swoop of the tail. I do appreciate that the long tail really restricts your cropping options. If you have it , a sliver more canvas on the left.

The colors in perch/bird and background play very well together.

The head is not quite razor sharp on my monitor. Perhaps a little motion blur at this shutter speed.

Cheers

Randy

Ben_Sadd
08-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the comments.

This bird kept going back to this perch and I liked the sweeping lines of the tail and the leaf. So I set -up to get a decent background and waited for him to return.

Perhaps I could add canvas, but otherwise do not have any in the original.

The head shows no motion blur and is sharp at 100% in the raw. Perhaps it is rather my sharpening, as I have not processed for bpn for a while and didn't want to over do it :)

Thanks again.

Ben

PhilCook
08-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Birds with long tails are very hard to compose well in the frame, but this has worked well with the leaf mirroring the lines of the bird, head angle to the camera is very good too, a striking looking bird Ben, colors of both birds and leaf are excellent with the light and sheen controlled nicely

Joe Senzatimore
08-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Great job of mirroring the tail and the perch. I find it very artistic.

Satish Ranadive
08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Magnificent image of colorful bird with beautiful wings and tail.I like the composition with nice BG.
Love the details on bird.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
08-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Very nice, this works very well!! Great perch. Sharpness looks good at my end. The water drops on the perch add some interest too.

Melissa Groo
08-11-2012, 08:05 PM
I think this is really beautiful, with the downward flowing lines,the colors, the comp. Wonderful image, Ben.

christopher galeski
08-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Beautiful image,love the colors,nice pose,nice BG,agree on a bit more room on the left.thanks.

Melvin Grey
08-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Great three dimensional lighting on the bird and lovely composition - as already commented, not always easy with long tailed birds.