PDA

View Full Version : Gannet

Gunnlaugur Sigurjónsson
08-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Canon 1D IV, 300mm f/2,8, </SPAN></SPAN>
ISO 1600, M, 1/5000 at f/5,6, handheld. Postprocessed in lightroom, about 70% of full frame</SPAN></SPAN>
Photo is taken in the northeastern corner of Iceland. Low cloud cover was good to reduce the contrast in this black and white bird but it makes the photo little dull. I was having difficulties choosing between a higher shutterspeed and iso with more noise or lower iso and shutterspeed. Felt I needed at least f5,6 to get enough DOF for those big birds. Stood a little unsteady in the middle of a cliff taking the photos.:bugeyed:

dankearl
08-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Nice flight shot, it does look a bit gloomy.
If this is 70%, I would like to see the 100% as I feel this is too tight.
Nice BG.

Nick Palmieri
08-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Nice capture. I like the BG and agree a little more room may improve this a bit.

Tony Whitehead
08-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Lovely birds to photograph. Agree on a little more room. I think selectively opening up the mid tones a bit and then increasing contrast a little will help it pop a bit more.

Giuseppe Varano
08-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Very nice flight shot. I agree with Tony's sugestions.

Gunnlaugur Sigurjónsson
08-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the comments. I only learn by getting critique and comments:S3:
I don´t have any more canavas under the bird. I need to refreshen my photoshop skills and add canavas to the bottom of the photo, then I can use more of the photo to the right of the bird. I will also try to open upp the mid tones and increase contrast. Will have to do that tomorrow as work is in the way today

Satish Ranadive
08-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Excellent flight pose captured.Bird pops-up very nicely against beautiful background.
Love the wing position,nice details and above all its' expression of coolness.

Regards,
Satish.

Gunnlaugur Sigurjónsson
08-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the critique. I tried to move the bird in the frame to increase the lead room, used technique from the CD disk APTATS 2 from Robert O Toole that I a find very good for a new beginner in photoshop. I also tried to open up the midtones and increase contrast. Hope this is better than the originial post. All C and C welcome.