PDA

View Full Version : Silvereye

PhilCook
08-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Common little fruit peckers here seasonally, but when they come down for a peek at ya, well ya just have to press the shutter button and stick it in the files with the other dozens of Silvereye on a stick pix. :w3

Not totally happy with this one, had to apply a bit more burn and extra noise reduction/blur to the perch than I would of liked and it looks a bit off now, cant be bothered playing any further with it....it was a very much a sun bleached branch and glowing much too brightly. Was in two minds about which way to crop this one, seemed to work OK in both vertical and landscape aspect....I chose to post vertical.

Canon 7D + 500 f4....f5, 1/640, ISO 500, +1.0 EV, no flash, tripod mounted and at a focal distance of about 15 feet/4.5 metres { minimum focal distance }

Karl Egressy
08-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Beauty shot, Phil. The datails are amazing.

Satish Ranadive
08-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Phil,
Excellent image.Love beautiful pose,colors and great details on bird.
I like the BG too.Wish more space around the Silvereye.
We call similar bird with some difference in back color,Oriental White Eye.

Regards,
Satish.

Randy Stout
08-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Phil:
Your concerns about the perch sum up my feelings as well. It looks overprocessed.
I like the pose and think you chose a good crop.

Perhaps a bit oversharpened on the bird for my tastes.

Well exposed with soft BG.

Cheers

Randy

Nancy Bell
08-10-2012, 08:43 AM
I also struggle with perches that are too bright and have not found a way to process them effectively. Thinking way ahead, if one takes a 2nd photo of just the perch with a more appropriate exposure and then composites the 2 images that could work. Lovely pose of this Silvereye.

laurie golden
08-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Phil,

Nice of him to come down out of the trees for you. Very nice pose. I am happy with the perch processing.

Stu Bowie
08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi Phil, I like the diagonal leaning pose, together with the colours on him - very similar to our Cape White eye. I agree with the Randy, the finer plumage is a touch over sharpened, not easy to get right. What I do is either selectively sharpen the whole bird, and 'touch up' where necessary, or I give it a very low sharpening pass and selectively sharpen where needed. I would have left the perch as is. It doesnt look too great as presented.

dankearl
08-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I love the variety of birds you photo and post.
Another nice one.

PhilCook
08-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for looking folks.....I try to post a different one each time if I can

Giuseppe Varano
08-11-2012, 03:07 AM
Very nice and sharp with amazing complementary background.

Peter Seidel
08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Love the detail here - though I wouldn't have the eye so centered in the frame. On my monitor, the face/feather detail looks a bit over-sharpened.

Pete