PDA

View Full Version : Mourning Warbler

Carmelo Cannova
08-08-2012, 06:32 PM
This was taken about one month ago on breeding territory. These shy warblers that stay in dense vegetation but I was lucky to have got a shot of one in the open as he was hunting insects for the nestlings .
D300, AF-S 300 2.8 + TC 1.4E.
F 5.6 , 1/160 , iso 500 , -0.3ev

Thanks for looking and commenting,

Carmelo

Tony Whitehead
08-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Exposure looks good and nice and sharp, Carmello. I might mask some of the sharpening from the perch and burn in the brighter areas on it a little. There seem to be some repeating patterns in the upper BG - did you need to do a lot of cloning/patching or was it just the nature of the vegetation?

Jack Breakfast
08-08-2012, 06:50 PM
This one is making me crazy, Carmelo. A mourning warbler, and out in the open like that?! Lovely bird, perch, and background all. Well done, man!

Nancy Bell
08-08-2012, 08:02 PM
This is a really nice alert pose with great feather details. Congrats on getting this warbler out in the open. I agree with Tony about the repeating shapes in the upper bkgd.

PhilCook
08-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Sweet pose, great looking eye and nicely isolated from the backdrop...agree regarding the repeating patterns in the top background and some halo showing around the edges of the bird

Stu Bowie
08-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Hi Carmelo, super alert pose from the Warbler, and I like the angled perch - lots of character too. The Warbler is nice and sharp, and feel you may have overdone the sharpening on the perch. Comp wise, I would take a touch off the top and right.

Karl Egressy
08-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Nicely angled perch and nice pose of the bird.
I would select the bird only and do the sharpening in the first round and then select the perch as well and do the second round of sharpening together with the bird.
(The perch looks oversharpened in relation to the bird)
Also I would use linear burn on the perch to darken it a little.
Excellent work and great species to have none the less, Carmelo.