PDA

View Full Version : Ichneumon Wasp

Steve Maxson
08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
This is a female (based on the long ovipositor) Ichneumon Wasp (Family Ichneumonidae) possibly in the genus Arotes. Identifying Ichneumons is a nightmare even for experts. There are over 3,200 species in North America north of Mexico and there are estimates that another 5,000 species haven't even been described yet. This one is likely a parasite of wood-boring beetle larvae. 5D II, 100 mm macro, 1/160, f/16, ISO 100, light box, 2 remotely fired flashes, hand held. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
08-11-2012, 05:47 AM
Steve you are certainly coming up trumps here with this light box, the illumination is ideal, the focus and DOF just about perfect. the colours look good but I wonder if the darkest patches should be a little darker - perhaps not as the light is obviously bright (??)

Roman Kurywczak
08-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Another nice one Steve! Everyone here in macro inspired me to dust off the old light table and do some of my own high key work! Will post it shortly.

Jason Stander
08-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Excellent Steve... detail and exposure is spot on... what a specimen!... WD!

Anita Bower
08-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Amazing detail and beautiful light. The clarity of this image is outstanding. Gorgeous color. You are doing excellent work with this lightbox! I think they deserve to be published.