PDA

View Full Version : Manze Sunset

Ken Watkins
08-08-2012, 02:37 AM
This was taken on our return up the Lake Manze channel, in Selous Game Reserve,Tanzania, a very special place particularly if you like waterbirds. Taken from a moving boat

EOS 1D MkIII

17-40 F4 at 39mm

F6.3, ISO 800, 1/2000, EV -1

Markus Jais
08-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Beautiful shot with great composition and fantastic light.

Markus

Robert Amoruso
08-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Ken,

The image is unbalanced (i.e. the compositional elements of sun, water, trees and clouds are not harmonized well). The large tree mass on the right dominates the image too much. The shoreline needs a rotation. The most interesting element on the image - trees on the far shore against the golden BG - are too small to carry the image.

Ken Watkins
08-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Well I could not have asked for two more contrasting comments, but I am OK with both.
Robert just out of interest which way do you consider the rotation should be?

Don Railton
08-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Let me guess.. Anticlockwise, its what I think anyway..

I think a Pano crop might work here by removing a lot of the top and most of the tree on the right... I do like the distant trees and the gold reflections, but not the big black voids.

DON

Matt Fragale
08-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I think I'm somewhere in the middle of those two. lol If it were my photo, I would have cropped a tiny bit off the bottom, a little off the right side (to about the middle of the tallest tree) and perhaps a tad off the top, but not necessarily. It does look a little like the horizon is off, and I think I would have done a little noise reduction to get rid of some of those color distortions in the clouds. Looks like it was a beautiful evening to be out on the water!