PDA

View Full Version : Heermann's Gull #2

Robert Holguin
08-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Hello everyone. Here is another shot of another heermanns gull I was able to capture from my visit to La Jolla.
C&C welcomed and encouraged.
Nikon 300s l Nikon 70-200 w/1.4 tc l 155mm l ISO 500 l 1/500 l F8 l Manual l Multi Segment l HH.

christopher galeski
08-07-2012, 01:56 AM
very nice ,good detail in the feathers,like the pose and the vegetation its stood on.

gail bisson
08-07-2012, 06:25 AM
The thumbnail doesn't do this image justice.
I like the soft diffuse overcast light and the very good IQ.
Great DOF. The ground cover is really pretty as well and I like that I can see the webbed foot.
I would like the see this as a landscape but the vertical is nice as well.
Gail

Karl Egressy
08-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Wow, what a striking image you have, Robert. I really like it!!!

Grace Scalzo
08-07-2012, 08:33 AM
The included habitat (vegetation and water ) put this image into a place of its own...I really love this one. The vertical comp and the view of his back add an artful element. The only thing i might work on is the white feathers at the base of his neck look a bit oversharpned. Maybe they are just wet, but I'd still work on this to give it a bit more polish.

Jack Breakfast
08-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I love gulls and I love this picture. Agree wholeheartedly w/ G. Scalzo RE white neck feathers. Because I'm new to this and never go anywhere I've only photographed 3 species of gull, but it's a shot like this that makes me wish to travel. Nothing pleases me more than sitting down among many gulls, and watching them unskittishly go about their business, so to speak. Many thanks for the inspiration...

Stu Bowie
08-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi Robert, lovely soft light, and you have brought out the feather detail nicely, and with good DOF too. The red beak stands out well, and as Gail mentioned, the ground cover adds that extra splash of colour.

Robert Holguin
08-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Thank you all very much for all the comments. Much appreciated and i will take a look at those neck feathers.