PDA

View Full Version : Is it photography?

John Chardine
08-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I came across this entertaining TED talk by Mark Applebaum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46w99bZ3W_M&feature=g-all-u

I would encourage you to watch it and contemplate what he is saying in relation to photography.

Cheryl Slechta
08-04-2012, 06:36 PM
John, thanks so much for sharing and it's certainly apropos to OOTB. The most important message I'll take away is "Is it interesting." :S3: I think sometimes precision or expectations or rules get in the way of our creative process - they certainly do with mine.

Indranil Sircar
08-05-2012, 11:51 AM
John, thanks for sharing... intersting perspective and makes me pause and think.

Kerry Perkins
08-06-2012, 11:36 PM
John, he asks the more important question "is it interesting?". The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines photography as "the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface". So, even the dictionary writers can't decide between art and process... I would say that photography is mostly process and that the application of photography can be art. As you know, I appreciate art in many forms - standard "as captured" photography can be very artistic but I also enjoy modified and enhanced images for what they are to me, i.e., interesting. The concept of "birds as art" as presented by Artie is what brought me to BPN and the variety of artistic expression shown on the various forums is what keeps me here.

denise ippolito
08-07-2012, 01:17 PM
John, Thank you for sharing the link!