PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Nonda Surratt
04-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Or suggestions or.... While hubby was in the other blind happily snapping away at Blue and Green-w teals I was fascinated by toad love. I really like the toads in this image but the water is butt ugly. I left some junk in the water, but the color! YUCK

Thanks!!
MIII 30+2x @f7.1 1/640,+2/3, ISO400.

Gus Cobos
04-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Very nice composition Nonda,
Like the action here, might want to crank up the contrast just a little bit...:D

William Malacarne
04-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Nonda

As Gus said maybe bump up the contrast some, as for the junk in the water I think it is ok as it adds some balance to the scene.

Bill

Nonda Surratt
04-20-2008, 10:10 AM
on the contrast, good idea..Now about that ugh water color?

William Malacarne
04-20-2008, 10:18 AM
.Now about that ugh water color?

Water color looks normal for many places I see in Southern Calif......:)

Jim Poor
04-20-2008, 11:06 AM
With some careful selection (more careful than I show here) and the Hue / Saturation menu, you can make the water any color you want.

Harold Davis
04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
nonda, i like the water as is.....compliments the color of the frogs. i would crop a bit of the top and a little from the right.

Nonda Surratt
04-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Jim..Tried that and I must not get the selection right edges too noticeable, or I should say didn't blend well.

William, yes it is pretty normal water color for some places around here too..boo hiss:)

Harold Davis
04-20-2008, 11:42 AM
what about this one?

Alfred Forns
04-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Nonda Neat in every way I think the image con be brighten up some Difficult to color balance since there are not many neutral areas Tried the eye (black) and went from there ... I could say the it was late afternoon with the last rays of sun reaching the happy couple !!!! :)

My color I don't think its realistic entirely but I find it pleasing and that is what I was after Jim's has some magenta mixed in Do think it looks better with cleaner water and crop form the top

Harold ...... GC was slower today but still good Got a PG flying !!!

Nonda Surratt
04-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Like the crop and the image being brightened up a bit. Wasn't sure about getting rid of the bits but like that too..THANKS

Harold neat take on it going darker and goldish (is that a word?)

Oscar Zangroniz
04-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Congratulations, you have everyone trying to out do themselves on your shot. A great on I may add. The frogs are so nice that I like all the different versions they came up with.
Regards,

Nonda Surratt
04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks Oscar. Now to just get a few minutes to go back and work on it, yea I like frogs/toads

John Robuck
04-22-2008, 06:05 AM
I really like the picture very much -- would be pleased to hang it on the wall if it were mine!

Seems there is a color cast of yellow; it's risky for me to say what color it should be instead, because I did not see the original situation through the viewfinder, but by using PS Image/Adjustment/Auto Color and Variations tools, I tried countering the cast and getting what looks more natural (to me) as a color for the water. Then I used Image/Adjustment/Shadow Highlight to take some of the sheen off the water.

Also tried cropping & cloning per the above comments, although I liked the sticks on the left as compositional elements. When cloning I like to use the "lighten" and "darken" modes more than the "normal" mode, when possible, because it can leave the underlying texture of the target area less disturbed.

So I offer this variation mainly to show the effects of using first Auto Color (it's automatic) and then Variations (you pick which variation looks best to you) on the color of the water.

Nonda Surratt
04-23-2008, 07:06 AM
Thanks John for your take!

I do appreciate everyones time on the BG issue, I'm just WAY behind on everything right now!!!