PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Box Image of the Week Dennis Bishop for the week ending Apr. 27th, 2012 - Van Hoosen Farm Silo

Daniel Cadieux
08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Congratulations Dennis!!!

Van Hoosen Farm is an important part of local history. It -- actually a small part of what it once was -- is part of a public park and museum. There are two very large tile silos connected to the old dairy barn. This masonry silo may have been part of another barn that later burned down. The roof and the covers for the openings in the wall are missing. It was bright and sunny, yesterday, when I stretched myself and my tripod to the limit to take this shot through the first window from the bottom that isn't covered with plexiglass (no doubt to keep people like me from venturing inside). The two horizontal elements in the upper part of the image are the underside of the opening.

9-exposure HDR at 1 EV intervals
ISO 200, f/22, zoom lens at 24mm (full sensor)

Processing

tone mapping with Photomatix to produce a good histogram
slight Recovery, Clarity, and some tweaks to the colors (including some desaturation of the yellows and greens of the wall) in Adobe Camera Raw
Nik Color Efex -- Glamour Glow (warm) applied only to highlights
Photo Filter adjustment layer (yellow) applied only to the sunlit areas using a channel mask
yellow reflective gradient centered on the sunlit areas
Fractalius -- black & white preset based on Sketch, Multiply blend mode
Alien Skin Snap Art -- black & white Stylize Line Art, Multiply blend mode
slight uniform gradient vignette
And -- contrary to my usual workflow -- no Topaz Simplify layer. I couldn't bear to compromise the tactile and visual texture with it.

Indranil Sircar
08-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Congratulations Dennis! Excellent composition and a well deserved one!

denise ippolito
08-10-2012, 09:40 AM
I love the processing Dennis, Great job and big congrats on the win!

Cheryl Slechta
08-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Dennis, congratulations! I love this image:S3: