PDA

View Full Version : Parasitic Wasp

Steve Maxson
07-31-2012, 11:43 AM
I found this small (about 15 mm stretched out) parasitic wasp (Gasteruption sp. , Family Gasteruptiidae) feeding on some flowers. It didn't look like much at first and I almost didn't bother to capture it - I'm glad I did! In this image, the ovipositor is exposed. As larvae, they are parasites on solitary bees or other parasitic wasps that nest in wood. They eat the larval hosts plus any provisions that the host larvae were supposed to eat. Insect ecology and behavior is endlessly fascinating - if you're into that sort of thing. :S3: 5D II, 100 mm macro, 1/160, f/16, ISO 100, light box, 2 remotely fired flashes, hand held. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Markus Jais
08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Very interesting and stunning shot. I like the white BG. Excellent sharpness and detail.

Markus

Jonathan Ashton
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
What a cracker great light amazing detail ideal DOF - look at that eye that's a real peach of a shot - well done!

Anita Bower
08-13-2012, 09:34 AM
An interesting looking wasp--streamlined and sporting a gorgeous tail (?). Wonderful to be able to see this wasp so very clearly.