PDA

View Full Version : Zambezi Dawn

Morkel Erasmus
07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
A lovely sunrise overt the Zambezi river in Mana Pools National Park, Zimbabwe.

This is a blend of 3 exposures. I tried to retain the darker pre-dawn feel of the actual scene in keeping with a realistic feel.
Would love to be there again - taking this all in! What a place...:eek3:

The mountains across the river are part of the Lower Zambezi National Park in Zambia.

I'm starting to enjoy the 24-70mm as well for my landscapes - love the 14-24mm for the ultra-wide stuff but here for example the sky only had clouds up to a certain point and was bland after that. Most of my shooting this morning was done at about 50mm in view of doing a blended panoramic stitch...haven't gotten round to it! :Whoa!:

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 @ 35mm
f11 @ ISO-200

Roger Clark
07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Hi Morkel,

This is a beautiful sunrise. Nice leading line from lower left into the frame, making a left turn to the point of the rising sun. Beautiful colors.

I do find the bottom and left uninteresting and I would crop out the mound on the left and the bottom up to where color starts in the river.

Roger

Vivaldo Damilano
07-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Morkel I really like the colors of the clouds and the winding river. Superb blending tech's. I have to agree with you on 24-70 for landscape. I like the lens as I can use standard grad filters, cannot be done with the 14-24 unfortunately.

Markus Jais
07-31-2012, 02:21 PM
A fantastic shot with great light and colors. I really like the composition and the placement of the river.

Markus

Don Lacy
07-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Lovely color and comp agree with roger on cropping to the color n the water

Hilary Hann
07-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Lovely light in this scene, but I agree with with Roger and Don on the foreground. I'd crop to the start of the colour reflection in the water, personally. Love the leading line of the creek. What was your shutter speed?

Ken Watkins
07-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Morkel,

This is nice brings back fond memories!

I seem to agree with others in that I think the channel in the FG is not adding a lot other than the lead in, I would consider a far more panoramic crop.

Robert Amoruso
08-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Morkel,

Roger hit the nail on the head for me - just what I was thinking.

PhilCook
08-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Liking the way the river crosses diagonally, leads my eye nicely along it's length...must say I'm in two minds about cropping from the bottom, not fussed either way....stunning colors and composition Morkel

Matt Fragale
08-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi Morkel,

This is a beautiful sunrise. Nice leading line from lower left into the frame, making a left turn to the point of the rising sun. Beautiful colors.

I do find the bottom and left uninteresting and I would crop out the mound on the left and the bottom up to where color starts in the river.

Roger

Yes. What Roger said. It's a gorgeous shot!