PDA

View Full Version : Dingo

Colin Driscoll
07-29-2012, 10:23 PM
We came face-to-face briefly in the NE Northern Territory, Australia. A beautiful wild dog in its prime. BG is mangroves bordering the Calvert River.

5D3 100-400 @ 400 1/250 f8 iso100

Ken Watkins
07-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Colin,

This is a magnificent image of something new for me.

I suppose you could quibble about OOF grass, but to that would be mighty petty.

Marc Mol
07-30-2012, 03:05 AM
Nice attentive pose here Col, in good light, don't mind the OOF grasses too much, taken from a boat?
Hope to encounter a few myself on our trip to the Kimberleys in 9 days.
TFS

Colin Driscoll
07-30-2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks Ken and Marc, the OOF foreground was a mix of low mangroves and grasses (not from a boat). Without that little bit of cover breaking our profiles (a friend was with me) it would not have given that querying pose. Best of luck for your trip Marc, sounds good.

Morkel Erasmus
07-30-2012, 04:50 AM
Great to see an image of these guys, Colin, in some good light too!
I don't mind the FG grasses, as I've still got a clear view of a rare species. How do their numbers look these days??

At the risk of sounding 'petty' :w3 - have you tried a very slight CW rotation? With no concrete horizon or even 'straight' tree trunk the best guideline for me is the levelling of the eye-line with a pose like this (also check his front legs which are on the same plane of focus and would look 'best' (IMHO of course) if they were purely upright. This of course is a small suggestion, I do love the image.

Colin Driscoll
07-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Thanks Morkel, I hadn't even considered rotation as it was the balance that I saw when I took the shot. Using that taller small mangrove as a vertical reference, yes it could go 2 plus degrees CW. Went to sleep in my tent to their howls on a couple of nights and got a shot of one in my Bushnell camera trap just a short distance from the camp. Unfortunately in a lot of areas they are being lost to domestic cross-breeding. It's only in real wilderness areas that you can be assured of seeing a pure one like this.

Steve Kaluski
07-30-2012, 05:49 AM
Hi Colin, nice to see something different.

I like the habitat/environment of the shot and the subject has good detail & clarity, DOF looks spot on and I like the placement within frame. Can I assume it's heat haze that causes the shimmering in the BKG? Would be interesting to see a RP taking on board Morkles comment regarding a slight CW rotation.

TFS
Steve

Colin Driscoll
07-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Steve, yes it was a warm afternoon. Here's the rotated image.

Steve Kaluski
07-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Cheers Colin, although subtle, it makes a difference. :cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
07-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Fully agree with Steve. Moved it up a notch!
Interesting to hear about cross-breeding with feral and domestic dogs...we have the same problem in South Africa with the African Wild Cat being 'thinned out' genetically by feral house cats...

Hendri Venter
07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Nice image of a dog we don't often see pictures of. Good catchlight in the eyes and the slight rotation an improvement.

Gregor Bergquist
07-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Agree with above statements. Very nice picture/portrait - with magical eyes. I think quality is very good.

Tanks för sharing, Gregor

Andreas Liedmann
07-31-2012, 04:18 AM
Hi Colin,
good image with high quality, nice catchlight in the eyes.RP takes it up a step, the colors work fine here and i do not mind about the OOF grass in FG.

Luckily you got not attacked by the dingo, like some tourists on Fraser Island some days ago:t3.

Cheers Andreas