PDA

View Full Version : Common Buckeye Butterfly sitting on leaf

LindaHarden
07-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Here is a Common Buckeye I photographed in late May.... First time using my 300mm lens. the evening sun was just starting to be soft so I thought it brought out the soft colors. I am still struggling with the set up (weight and no VR) and most of my posts use my other camera and macro..... but I like how this lens handles the background and want to get better at using it.

D700, 300mm, hand held. ISO 200, F7,1, 1/400s, -.3EV ... I re-processed it this evening with levels and curves, sharpening and cropping (NX2). I cropped off the rest of the plant because it distracted from the butterfly. CC welcome.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bjB_pPMVP5o/UBSfbLgW-kI/AAAAAAAAADM/qQV2xUenYiQ/s800/DSC_8353%2520D700%2520Buckeye%25202_01.JPG

Steve Maxson
07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Hi Linda. I think this is your best one yet! You captured a beautiful specimen giving you a great pose against a clean background. Very good overall sharpness and a nice comp. You might try to tone down the one very bright antenna, but that's a minor point. Excellent work! :cheers:

LindaHarden
08-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Steve, thanks for the observations/comments. With this and the last few iimages I posted, I am beginning to visualize the ways I can improve and move beyond my percentage of 'almost good'. I am having a few technical issues (that tend to occur in the countryside) and so hope to be able to post again next weekend.