PDA

View Full Version : Scale-Feathered Malkoha from the Philippines

Alain Pascua
07-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Philippine Endemic SCALE-FEATHERED MALKOHA, photographed in Taytay Falls, Majayjay, Laguna, July 2012... Canon EOS 7D + EF 400mm f/5.6 USM + Benro Tripod and GH-1 Gimbal Head... 1/125, f/7.1, iso800, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metering.

I'm actually torn in the presentation, whether in landscape or portrait format, but I choose this one.

http://alainpascua.smugmug.com/Philippine-Birds/By-Location/Laguna/i-pCzXPQj/0/XL/scale-featheredmalkohaMG9653-XL.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
07-28-2012, 06:45 PM
The comp is fine as a vertical, you had a very busy setting and this has minimized the impact. I still wish the big dark leaf touching the subject's head was not there, and for a better head angle. Too bad about the OOF FG foliage. Good exposure and very good details on the face. Awesome bird, never seen one before!

Satish Ranadive
07-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Agree with Daniel's comments. Beautiful looking bird .I like the colors and nice details.

Alain Pascua
07-28-2012, 09:35 PM
This bird has eluded me for years. It's very difficult to nail it in close range, and at ideal environment.

Daniel, would it be alright to clone out that big dark leaf touching the subject's head?

Thanks, Satish!

Maya Raut
07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi Alain,

Very beautiful bird. I never seen this before. I liked most it's eyes and black feather line from neck to head. Great job.

- Maya

Alain Pascua
07-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Maya!

Mark Itol
07-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Welcome, Alain. Nice post.

Seeing the original image (you posted somewhere) with the tail cut off, I'd also go with this presentation, but moving the bird a little to the left as I feel the eye is too centered. Excellent detail especially on the eyelashes. A little bit of head turn towards you would have been nice.

I got this skulker for a few seconds in the open once but it was underexposed. Reason to bird more. :bg3:

Alain Pascua
07-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi Mark!

Thanks for your comments. I am actually entertaining the idea of a tighter crop, one that would eliminate the OOF FG and give emphasis to the details of the head, especially the eyes.

Nice seeing you here!

Daniel Cadieux
07-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Daniel, would it be alright to clone out that big dark leaf touching the subject's head?

Thanks, Satish!

Well, that is a personal decision to make for yourself. I have no issue with cloning and stuff, with disclosure, but it is ultimately is your choice to make. You could also just make it paler to make it less competing with the subject's head.