PDA

View Full Version : Rhino at Lake Nakuru

Gregor Bergquist
07-28-2012, 11:41 AM
This was a lovely morning at lake Nakuru, with overall very blu light. This Rhino was very cooperative. Here he is in a landscape fashion, that I really like myself. I posted one of him before, which people liked so-so. The Rhinos, both black and white, is doing very well at lake Nakuru. One of few places in Africa. But then this park is quite small and very well protected, almost like a zoo. I for sure will go back there, and can recommend it for anyone. Backside is that this place is quite civilized.

Slightly cropped, levels adjusted in LR4.
Nikon D3, 600mm, 1/3200s, f/4, iso 800 (techs not so optimal:e3)

Morkel Erasmus
07-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Lovely scene here Gregor - great mood and soft light. Pano crop works well. A dreamy feel here...

ISO-800 is standard for the D3/D3s :w3 - it's the new ISO-100 haha...
I would have traded DOF for SS here for a few different variations...stopping down to f8 and f11 if you went for slower SS.

Ken Watkins
07-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Gregor,

I like the mood of this, the colours may seem a little strange and perhaps not technically correct ( I am not checking:w3) .

In a perfect world slightly more DOF may have helped.

I agree with Morkel that for my bodies at least ISO 800 is my standard setting.

Whatever the result is visually pleasing my major standard for judging an image.

Vivaldo Damilano
07-29-2012, 03:08 AM
Great scene, looks very similar to Morkel's pano. I love the soft colours and rhino's placement. I would have prefered the tree more towards the left hand side of the frame though.

Steve Kaluski
07-29-2012, 03:41 AM
Hi Gregor, would echo Vivaldo's comments & observations and certainly if the tree was more to the LHS the image would be better balance for me. Also as Morkel mentioned, the soft colours create a nice mood to the overall scene.

I think the Nikon, more cooler 'look & feel' has worked very much in your favour. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
07-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi Gregor - nice choice with the pano and placemnet of the rhino. I agree a bit more dof would improve and would prefer to have the tree more to the lhs.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
07-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi Gregor,
very fine panorama with good placement of the subject.I like the DOF as presented with a good low shooting angle.
I would like to see a bit more contrast , not a big punch just a bit.
I would either remove the tree or even better place the tree to the LHS to balance the image a bit.By just removing the BKG could look very empty.

Cheers Andreas

Gregor Bergquist
07-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Hi, guys and ladies.

Thanks a lot for viewing and C&C.

/Gregor