PDA

View Full Version : Lion

Hilary Hann
07-28-2012, 04:20 AM
I posted a pose of this lion some time ago but as I was sorting through some files I decided to process another view and post this one.

7D; 300mm + 1.4; ISO 400; 1/320; f8

Ken Watkins
07-28-2012, 05:17 AM
Hilary,

Nice to see you back here.

This is a great pose in a great position in the landscape. I am a little concerned by the amount of blue in the BG hills

Does this quick fix work?

Dumay de Boulle
07-28-2012, 05:19 AM
What a Lion...Love the light and comp of the landscape and subject. Ken has a pint on the blue and he has sorted it out quite nicely...Nice one!

Gregor Bergquist
07-28-2012, 06:23 AM
This is just great. I love pictures with an animal looking out over itīs kingdom. Beautiful light, and I like that the colors is not too saturated. Kens quick fix works very well.

TFS, Gregor

Hilary Hann
07-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the comments. Repost looks good, thanks Ken.

Ken Watkins
07-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Hilary,

You are most welcome, by the way I failed miserably with the Lesser Kudu again, I'll just have to go again

Hilary Hann
07-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Those are very tricky. I have only one I like but not processed. I'm sure you'll get another chance.

Rachel Hollander
07-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Hilary - Nice to see you posting in wildlife again. You and your images have been missed. Very regal pose and comp here. Good dof with nice light. Ken's rp has taken care of blues.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
07-28-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm sure you'll get another chance.

I sincerely hope so, it gives me an excuse to go back to Ruaha, not that I need one:bg3:

Markus Jais
07-28-2012, 08:52 AM
I like this a lot. Great composition with the lying looking back into the image. Wonderful light.

Markus

Steve Kaluski
07-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Nice light & look back on this Hilary, would consider dropping some yellow to perhaps for the grass. Thought you might have tried a quad tone for this.

TFS
Steve

Steve Uffman
07-28-2012, 03:53 PM
mighty, mighty fine Hilary. (setting the bar pretty high for me, huh?:S3:) Rachal's choice of regal fits perfectly.....

Now can you explain what a quad tone is to me?

Morkel Erasmus
07-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Stunning pose and scene Hilary. It is good to see you here again :bg3:.
Light was great and depth from the crater wall makes it rock - good repost by Ken too ito the blue hue on the BG.
I like what I'm seeing: it seems you have mastered the 7D files, it looks really good! :5

Hilary Hann
07-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments.

Morkel, I've come to terms with the 7D but can't wait to move on. Just waiting for a bit more feedback on the 1Dx before deciding which way to jump. However, I'm even more sure than ever that that the camera is just the tool and if you manage its weaknesses you can produce the goods. I'm just very tired of the 7D weaknesses and am ready to have a better low light performance! :w3

Morkel Erasmus
07-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments.

Morkel, I've come to terms with the 7D but can't wait to move on. Just waiting for a bit more feedback on the 1Dx before deciding which way to jump. However, I'm even more sure than ever that that the camera is just the tool and if you manage its weaknesses you can produce the goods. I'm just very tired of the 7D weaknesses and am ready to have a better low light performance! :w3

From early results it seems that the 5D3 and 1DX are great steps forward for any Canon shooter at the moment, especially ito low light. :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
07-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Now can you explain what a quad tone is to me?

Steve it's another 'style' of medium ie Colour, B/W Duo tone. A Duo tone is a half tone overlayed by another half tone in a different colour, therefore a Quad tone is where you use four colours to create a image that looks B/W but has a warmth/colour to it, so to speak. A Duo, Tri and Quad can sometimes create a richer, perhaps contrasty image and is not as cold as a simple B/W due to the colour used.

Steve Uffman
07-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Many thsnks. Always learning!

Hendri Venter
07-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Wonderful wildlife image Hilary. Really like the composition and pose.

Steve Canuel
08-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Really nice shot Hilary. A regal representation of the "King of the Beasts" looking out over his kingdom.