Canon Mark III
Canon 300 2,8 and extender 1x4
iso 640
f,4,5
1/1600

I have some doubts about this shoot:

- no right light on the tiger's face
- too much or poor contrst
- the position of tiger is too much in the centre (this is a little crop on the left side to reduce centre point)
but
I think the color of light is good and the setting is nice.
What you think about?
Thanks

Gregor Bergquist
07-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Hi Giovanni

I like this portrait. I like the grass (habitat), DOF and composition. I think it works very well. In my eyes contrast is ok, as is light. I do think it lacks a bit of sharpness in the tigers face.

TFS, Gregor

Steve Kaluski
07-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Hi Giovanni, when viewed in PS the colour looks a bit flat and does lack some contrast/depth, was this shot early morning? To me, there also appears to be a lot of Red within the image which is perhaps also affecting the overall balance of the image. Have you looked at adjusting the WB when processing? I don't mind the position/placement of the Tiger, but would prefer more FG for it to walk into and slightly less above. With the kit & set up you had I would also have expected more sharpness & clarity within the Tiger based on that there is minimal cropping.

Where was this taken?

TFS
Steve

Giovanni Frescura
07-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Hi Giovanni, when viewed in PS the colour looks a bit flat and does lack some contrast/depth, was this shot early morning? To me, there also appears to be a lot of Red within the image which is perhaps also affecting the overall balance of the image. Have you looked at adjusting the WB when processing? I don't mind the position/placement of the Tiger, but would prefer more FG for it to walk into and slightly less above. With the kit & set up you had I would also have expected more sharpness & clarity within the Tiger based on that there is minimal cropping.

Where was this taken?

TFS
Steve

Hello Stve
it was made in Kana early in the morning.
I have the same your idea about the flat but I no tried to made better. The red was made more by Nik olor efex tonal contrast..I think.
Have you any idea to avoid fllat ?
Thanks
Gio

Steve Kaluski
07-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Hi Gio, in all honest 9/10 times in looking at an image you know what needs in theory to be done. I tried several things, but felt it was getting away to much from the OP IMHO. In cases like this, looking at the RAW would give an instant answer & direction on the way to go and explore. Do you have the facility to send the RAW file as there are plenty of web companies that offer things like this, or even a drop box which is almost instantaneous? sadly working with the OP does not allow the flexibility for me to see if I can give a valued/detail solution in progressing this, are you Mac based as Andreas gave me a site that you could instal & use?

Ciao
Steve

Ken Watkins
07-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Govanni,

The simplest way to avoid adding a colour cast in Nik Tonal Contrast is to adjust either the opacity of the layer or change the saturation when you are using it. Of course if you are still unhappy with it you can try the Remove Colour Cast function.

Normally a boost in contrast will remove flatness, if you have PS then the easiest way to do this is with the Linear Contrast tool

Whilst I am not really happy working on down loads from here due to their small size does this work in anyway for you?

I still think it needs further work on the red/magenta but this is best addressed starting with the Raw file

Steve Kaluski
08-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi Gio, I see our exchange and files worked based on the image I saw in a BBC magazine this month, nice one. :cheers: