PDA

View Full Version : How to get better? Specialize or shoot everything?

Markus Jais
07-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Hello,

I like to shoot all things in nature like birds, mammals, insects, flowers or more and more landscapes.

All is fun but I was wondering if focusing on one thing, let's say 75% of the time and photograph the other things along the way, will help to become
really, really good in this part of nature photography - of course given that I work hard, learn a lot and shoot, shoot, shoot.

I am currently thinking about if and where to focus. Mostly divided by birds and landscapes. I will definitely continue photographing everything in nature
but many here in BPN also seem to concentrate on one thing, like BIF or macro work.

That could also influence camera gear I plan to buy. Mostly birds -> 1DX, mostly landscapes -> 5D3. (and always keeping the 7D).

Do you focus on one particular subject? How has this been working out for you?

Looking forward to your comments and ideas.

Markus

Ken Watkins
07-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Markus,

For me the answer is simple shoot everything that appears in front of your camera, if you particularly want an image of a subject try to go to an area where you may see it, as I recently did with the Shoebill.

Doug Herr
07-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Specialize. A jack of all trades is master of none.

David Stephens
07-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Looking at the gallery on your website, it seems like you're already specializing Markus. Bird and wildlife photography require enough skills that it's hard to do it casually. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't mix in travel, landscape and portrait photography, if any of those interest you, but really focusing on birds will make you a better bird photographer.

OTOH, if you want to make your mortgage payments with photography, then birds and wildlife might not be the place to focus. There's lots of competition no matter which route that you chose, but the ratio of dollars to photographer in birds and wildlife is pretty low.

Sabyasachi Patra
07-28-2012, 11:50 AM
OTOH, if you want to make your mortgage payments with photography, then birds and wildlife might not be the place to focus.

Agree. Also, one can always have a life project which you keep on building up over several years.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Jeannean Ryman
07-28-2012, 02:44 PM
As a hobbyist, I shoot mostly birds and macro because that's what interests me the most. I have so much to learn in these two areas, I tend to stick to them for the learning process as well. I do the occasional landscape, people shots, etc., but those tend to be much fewer and more of the "grab" type shot than something I think about and plan.

Tom Graham
07-28-2012, 09:56 PM
"...will help to become really, really good in this part of nature photography.."
Perhaps this is obvious, but -
How does one become really good in any craft or art? Like perhaps playing the piano?
I think you start with experienced teachers. Teachers whether real life, books, videos, etc. Making 100,000 photo images, or pounding on the piano for 10,000 hours, does not mean anything except that you spent a lot of time doing it. (Even if your lens costs $8,000 or your piano is a Steinway).
Tom

dankearl
07-28-2012, 10:50 PM
You should photograph what interests you.
If you enjoy all aspects of photography, you should do all.
There are certain disciplines like BIF, that you can only get good at by focusing on I think.
While all photography takes an artful eye and the right times to get good results, BIF photos take time and practice.
It is target shooting with a camera, only time and practice will develop your skill.
Landscape is mostly about being in the right place at the right time.
The best know how to compose the scene, but it mainly requires being there at the "moment", I think.
As most things go, the best enjoy what they do.

Markus Jais
07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks to all your comments. Very interesting.
I think specialization is important. Nature photography is also a specialization in photography. I just read a book on photography that covered everything from pets, to landscapes, architecture and even naked women. But most shots were mediocre or boring, probably because the photographer tried to shoot everything but never spends too much time with one topic.

I looked at many websites of successful nature photographers and many seem to focus on 2-3 main subjects, e.g. birds and large mammals or large mammals and landscapes or landscapes and flowers. Some only photograph birds or only landscapes.
I think I have not yet found my way. I will continue play with all fields but probably focus on landscapes and birds for most of my time at home and maybe add large mammals during vacation.

My dream would probably be to focus on eagles and wild cats (like pumas, tigers, leopards) but here in Bavaria there are no cats except a few wild cats and lynx (which are impossible to see) and few eagles. So this is not an option.

Markus

Grace Scalzo
07-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Recently, I took some macro images. Someone said to me that I "Should" take more because they looked good. But I just don't care so much about them. Photographing birds and mammals makes me happy. Even more so when I can find one individual (Or a family), like a nesting pair of blue birds and follow them for a season. Or a quail who I know where he lives and I can follow him for a while and learn about him while I take his picture..or spend a couple seasons photographing birds that live in an endangered grassland....that is what I love. I have no illusions that I will ever sell even a single picture or win a competition, as I just don't care about that. So my answer to you is to photograph what you love.

Milan V
08-10-2012, 06:17 AM
I shoot everything, not just nature, but nature, mostly animals are my first priority.

Best!
Milan
www.pbase.com/milv

Randy Stout
08-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Markus:

Lots of good advice above. Much depends on whether you need to make a living at it, or just have a fun, learning, experience.

I personally do it for the challenge, and the opportunities to be out in nature. I like the dynamic nature of bird photography, and the challenges too. Like Grace, I also enjoy following a particular bird or bird family during a season, or longer if possible. Because of my interest in loons, I can follow a single pair for years.

I also do a little macro each year, mainly butterflies, and shoot my daughters sports teams, but always come back to the birds.

From a personal standpoint, I tend to specialize on one thing at a time, to try and master it, and then may add more things at a later time.

Cheers

Randy

Graeme Sheppard
08-18-2012, 08:42 AM
There's a saying that practice doesn't make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect.

Basically, it means that if you want to become better at bird portraiture, you need to focus on those, learn to understand what makes the photo great in your mind and try to create it. Each photo you create needs to be considered analytically, along with those of others.

If you want to take photos that showcase nature around you, then the 'subject' in the frame is unimportant, because the true subject is the moment. So you need to try taking photos of great moments and analyse them etc etc.

You need to understand what it is you are really trying to do with your photography and focus in on it.

Alain Briot has written some great stuff about this, which you can find on theLuminous Landscapes website.
Personally I'm still developing my style, and currently I'm trying to create portraits of birds that show their intricate and graceful beauty. But most my photography is done when simply out enjoying nature.

That's my current slant on this, but I expect it to change with time!

Arthur Morris
09-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I started photographing birds more than 28 years ago. Folks told me often, "You cannot make a living photographing just birds." I have been doing fairly well. I also do a little bit of everything including flowers, scenics and wildlife but birds remain my first love and my calling card :S3:.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-07-2012, 09:29 PM
My dream would probably be to focus on eagles and wild cats (like pumas, tigers, leopards) but here in Bavaria there are no cats except a few wild cats and lynx (which are impossible to see) and few eagles. So this is not an option.

Markus

Greetings. I think one of the requirements is subjects to which you have frequent access, frequent shooting opportunities. Kinda a "love the one your with" sort of thing.

Cheers,

-Michael-