PDA

View Full Version : Early morning sparrow and iris, or, KEEP YOUR EYE TO THE CAMERA!

Jack Breakfast
07-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Greetings, folks. This picture was taken yesterday morning at 6:30 with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm, iso800, 1/800, f5.6. An iris? I think? Anyhow, I wish I'd caught the h. sparrow doing something more interesting, and I certainly would have caught some good action if not for my obsessive need to check and re-check my histogram, even after I already had the exposure to my liking. Bear in mind that the light was not changing. The house sparrow started to dance on the flower but by the time my camera was back to my eye, she had flown away! O ruinous compulsion, you have robbed me of a precious moment! Worse still: I have no-one to blame but the faccia brutta in the mirror! I'll learn! Keep the eye to the camera, Breakfast!

PhilCook
07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
The flower is a Canna.

Very nice composition Jack, and lovely smooth backdrop, but I would of preferred to see the Sparrow jumping through a flaming hoop whilst juggling 5 Acorns next time if you wouldn't mind lol lol.

I think it looks good, but does appear a little flat on my screen { no, not meaning 2 dimensional } but lacking a little in contrast and/or color or something, as is it looks a little like peering through dirty glass

oh.....and keep your eye on the birdy !

Jack Breakfast
07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Hiya Phil
Thanks most of all for the flower ID, it's highly appreciated. Yes yes, I toned down the contrast a little bit. I'm more than fond of that look with a picture like this, but I can also see the argument for keeping the contrast at semi-normal, or typical, levels. Really and truly: thanks!

arash_hazeghi
07-25-2012, 08:02 PM
very nice I like the colors of the BG and the perch. would tone down the brighter green band in the bottom and yes to more contrast.

Joe Senzatimore
07-25-2012, 08:06 PM
I might consider cropping of the bright bottom. Fine image otherwise.

Jack Breakfast
07-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Many thanks, Arash and Joe, I appreciate your input, as always...

Jack Breakfast
07-25-2012, 10:20 PM
And yes, absolutely, to the flower being a CANNA LILY. I've compared the foliage (not pictured here) to some ID shots online, and that's definitely the right one. Thanks again Phil...

laurie golden
07-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Jack,

I do like the flower and the background - it is always great to have a great perch and background and you have them here. When you toned down the contrast was that on the whole photo or the flower and background? If the whole photo, perhaps the bird would pop more if he was not included in the tone down. The colors in the rest of the photo are overpowering for the bird - but beautiful, but the bird gets lost. Can you add some contrast/color to the bird only?

Jack Breakfast
07-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Yes Laurie, and thanks, I'll try that. I toned down the contrast of the entire picture. I like the colors overpowering a house sparrow, especially given that she is one drab little cupcake at the best of times. One of my favorites, but pretty plain. Anyhow, a good idea, many thanks. How best to do that? Using a quick mask?

laurie golden
07-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Jack,

A quick mask may work. I am sorry but I am not a good one to ask - I just do not understand PS masks! Not intuitive for me. I have been using Topaz remask which is easier for me to understand. But the bird is a different color from the flower and background so maybe would work great. Maybe someone else could answer this.

Frank Schauf
07-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Beautiful portrait, great pose and colours.

Ken Watkins
07-26-2012, 01:32 AM
My wife always tells me to stop "chimping" and watch the subject:w3

Whatever this is a nice image of an "ordinary" bird but I agree just a little boost should make all of the difference

Satish Ranadive
07-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Every thing has been said about this simple and very very sweet image. Just loved it.

Satish.

gail bisson
07-26-2012, 04:37 AM
Lovely BG and another vote for more contrast on bird.
You can select bird via quick mask and just touch up the bird.
Gail

Jack Breakfast
07-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks, folks...if I ever want to isolate the bird, I shall do so with a quick mask. I was trying with the magnetic lasso and all of that but it didn't quite work out...

Wynand van Wyk
07-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Ditto above advice given. Love the background and great detail on the little bird! I like it.

Well done.